Revision Approval Help

cynthia1970
on 10/26/17 3:56 am

I had an RNY in 2000. I weighed 265 and got down to around 140. I'm now back up to 267. I was at 200 until I injured my back and have had to deal with that and now working for the past 7 years.

I saw a local Bar surgeon and he said according to my labs my RNY isn't working any more. He said he would never believe I had had surgeon by looking at only the labs, I don't take supplements btw.

He won't do a revision because he wasn't the surgeon who originally preformed it and isn't sure how it was done exactly since all docs do it a little differently. By original surgeon is out of state and I was looking forward to finding someone closer to home.

Anyone else had this problem? How hard is it to get approval for an RNY? I now had issues with my back and knees due to the weight. Not to mention the difficultly in doing any type of recreational activities.

Queen JB
on 10/26/17 1:06 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I do not understand what you mean by saying your "RNY isn't working anymore". You were dramatically surgically altered--that doesn't just change back! My point is, you still have the RNY anatomy which means you can lose this weight without a revision.

The thing about the surgery (any surgery) is that the first year or so, it is deceptively easy to lose a lot of weight and assume that that ease is going to last. But the truth is that if you are going to keep weight off long term, you have to adopt a whole new LIFE LONG lifestyle. You have to eat dense protein at every meal. You have to weigh, track and measure your food. You have to take supplements!

Sure, there is probably a doctor who will take your money and give you some kind of a revision, but why bother with the risk and money if in a few years you might going to end up in the same place?

Honestly, if there was a surgery that smacked bad food out of my hand every time I wanted it, I would do it! But there isn't... So at the and of the day, it is up to us to use the tool we have to the fullest potential.

I promise that don't say any of this to sound overly critical--more to inspire you to remember that you already have a very powerful tool. I wish you the best in losing your regain!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/26/17 1:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

To see if your RNY is working, you need to look at your stomach, not your blood.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 10/26/17 2:08 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Pacific Time, cynthia1970 wrote:

I had an RNY in 2000. I weighed 265 and got down to around 140. I'm now back up to 267. I was at 200 until I injured my back and have had to deal with that and now working for the past 7 years.

I saw a local Bar surgeon and he said according to my labs my RNY isn't working any more. He said he would never believe I had had surgeon by looking at only the labs, I don't take supplements btw.

He won't do a revision because he wasn't the surgeon who originally preformed it and isn't sure how it was done exactly since all docs do it a little differently. By original surgeon is out of state and I was looking forward to finding someone closer to home.

Anyone else had this problem? How hard is it to get approval for an RNY? I now had issues with my back and knees due to the weight. Not to mention the difficultly in doing any type of recreational activities.

a lot of times it is user error. What does a day of eating look like for you?

NHPOD9
on 10/27/17 6:56 am, edited 10/27/17 12:53 am

If you are not taking supplements, I would advise against a surgery that would increase malabsorption. Ultimately, we want a surgery to improve our health, and dying a slow death as a result of deficiencies should be a deterrent for you.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Most Active
Recent Topics