Repair hiatal hernia or go for sleeve to bypass revision?

Janet H.
on 12/12/17 5:48 pm
VSG on 09/12/13 with

I had the sleeve done in 2013. Had horrible reflux from the beginning. Didn't lose as much weight as I would have liked. Finally went back to the doctor. Hiatal hernia is in pretty bad shape. He wants to repair the hernia. Would I be better off in the long run to also convert to gastric bypass at the same time?

Donna L.
on 12/14/17 8:15 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It depends how large the hernia is and what other issues are present. If the GERD is only due to the hernia and not the sleeve and you want to lose more weight, a duodenal switch often makes more sense since we already have the first part of the procedure with the sleeve. It does require a significant deal of diligence in terms of self-care and vitamin supplementation, however it remains one of the gold standards in WLS.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

2phat
on 1/20/18 7:20 am
Most Active
Recent Topics