Contemplating a needed revision

leanner977
on 1/4/18 3:03 pm - Hobart, IN

I was 283 when I had my RNY in 2006. In 2007 I had to have a hysterectomy and my weight started coming back after that, gradually, but at a fast gradual pace. I have PCOS so I wasn't entirely shocked that it happen the way it did. But now, here I am just shy of 12 years post op and I'm at 275. I look at my husband eating and think "How am I the fatter one here?!?!?" So I still don't eat a ton, or even more than I should (at least compared to my hubby) yet I have regained nearly everything I ever lost. My lowest weight was about 175.

So I have reached out to my surgeon's office to ask about revisions and the process. But that just makes me feel like even more of a failure. I'm waiting for a return phone call...but I'm pretty upset in the meantime.

How did things go so wrong? Will a revision even work or will I just up up at 270+ in another few years and left looking for another option?

Leann ~~~ My WLS site

hollykim
on 1/4/18 6:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 4, 2018 at 11:03 PM Pacific Time, leanner977 wrote:

I was 283 when I had my RNY in 2006. In 2007 I had to have a hysterectomy and my weight started coming back after that, gradually, but at a fast gradual pace. I have PCOS so I wasn't entirely shocked that it happen the way it did. But now, here I am just shy of 12 years post op and I'm at 275. I look at my husband eating and think "How am I the fatter one here?!?!?" So I still don't eat a ton, or even more than I should (at least compared to my hubby) yet I have regained nearly everything I ever lost. My lowest weight was about 175.

So I have reached out to my surgeon's office to ask about revisions and the process. But that just makes me feel like even more of a failure. I'm waiting for a return phone call...but I'm pretty upset in the meantime.

How did things go so wrong? Will a revision even work or will I just up up at 270+ in another few years and left looking for another option?

the answer to your question lies in what you are eating. Doesn't matter so much, how much you are eating but what you are eating.

are you still eating protein forward, little to no carbs and getting 64+ ounces of calorie free liquid a day?

What doesxa day's menu look like for you?

Laura in Texas
on 1/6/18 6:22 am

Are you tracking what you are eating? Track every bite somewhere like myfitnesspal. No guessing. Increase your dense protein and decrease crappy carbs.

I agree with Holly that what you are eating matters, but I also think the amount does, too. It does not sound like you really know how much you are eating. A little more than you need each day can add up to a big gain.

I think you should work on improving your eating habits while you research your revision options.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Margaret55
on 1/11/18 3:49 am

I had RNY in 2004, I lost very slow with it. I started @ 365 and it took me 1 year to loose 100 and then I lost another 35. Never got below 230's, I maintained for awhile, then started gaining, went on Weigh****chers and lost 60, then gained again upto 375. I started loosing in March of 2017. In July I made an appt. with a bariatric surgeon to see what my options were. All I have to say is WOW, what a difference in the instructions given to me from when I 1st had surgery. Anyway I was seeking duodenal switch, he didn't advise it and I respected that. I saw the nutritionist and since July I lost 65lbs. I have had no carbs, eating 4oz of protein twice a day and TRYING to get my water in and following the 30-30-30 rule. I found out I had an ulcer in my pouch due to the use of anti-inflammatories, a hiatal hernia, enlarged pouch. I'm scheduled for a revision on 2/12/2018. The pouch will be made smaller, the stoma made smaller and I may receive a longer limb bypass (although they really don't think that will be necessary). Since I have been completely off carbs, I have almost no joint pains, I'm off ALL anti-inflammatories and I can't believe how much better I feel. For the past 1 month I have only lost 3 lbs and I'm really annoyed. Makes me wonder IF I will ever get to my goal. I measure abd weigh all my food, use fitness pal to keep track of what I eat and drink. I also gave up my diet Snapple ice tea in July. My urinary incontinence has gone away also. I also go to the meetings once a month. I don't really want to go through another big surgery but I'm otherwise healthy and I want the best chance I can have at finally getting to my goal. It also helps to be in the right hands. Don't give up! Try getting back to basics. Have 3-4 oz of protein at a meal, drink your water, try to get some exercise in and eliminate the carbs. Don't drink 30 minutes before a meal, complete your meal within 30 minutes and start drinking 30 minutes after you completed your meal. Do not eat between your meals, unless you have a planned healthy snack such as an apple, Greek plain yogurt, 1 oz protein. Stay away from those protein bars and those other kind of so called bars. Read your labels. Sorry for the long post. I wish you all the best.

cneale
on 2/6/18 1:19 am

What is a longer limb bypass? Thanks

teachingb
on 1/16/18 5:08 am

I would like a revision, a 2nd chance too. Depressed ,never got to goal, WLS was six years ago. Did great 3 years going up for 3, now at 210 and gained back 40. Oh help please

Most Active
Recent Topics