Revision from band to gastric bypass or sleeve? Go

mnsmith
on 1/10/18 7:39 am

Advice on going from band to bypass or sleeve? Go

ladygodiva1228
on 1/11/18 8:15 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I went from band to bypass and couldn't be happier. The biggest thing for me was getting rid of the GERD/heartburn I had from the band. And the weight loss has been very good.

Not saying the sleeve is a bad surgery at all, but I have seen several folks who went from band to sleeve end up having to revise to the bypass due to excessive acid.

Now if you didn't have the band and had no history of GERD/heartburn/reflux I would suggest the sleeve I know numerous folks who have been very successful with it.

Best of luck in your decision.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Angela Stoot
on 1/11/18 3:49 pm - Crosby, TX
ladygodiva1228, I would love to hear more of this 3X surgery as I am possibly faced with same. I had the band in 2005, had a revision to the sleeve in 2014 and now because of severe acid reflux, my doctor is suggesting possible bypass. I am a bit nervous about this because I am 180 lbs, I am only 40 lbs from my goal and concerned as to why he would suggest this. I'd really like to hear the stories. I am scheduled for a X-ray and upper GI next week, I am praying for good results.

Angela
bethmal
on 1/11/18 4:29 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I had the band in 2006 and developed severe acid reflux/GERD a few year ago. Even on medication, it was not controlled. My doctor told me the band would have to come out and I pretty much ignored her. Fast forward to July 2017 and she told me that I could develop esophageal cancer because the reflux/GERD was so bad. (I was waking up choking in my sleep and constantly sucking back Mylanta - along with prescription medications.) August 2017 the band came out. December of 2017 I had bypass because my doctor said bypass would cure it. No reflux... zero, none, zilch. Only 16 days out of surgery and just learning how to eat again. It seems so much easier than when I had the band 11 years ago.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Angela Stoot
on 1/11/18 5:21 pm - Crosby, TX
Thank you @bethmal ... for me I Was taking tums and now nexium daily the daily chest pains feels like a heart attack ... I'm so bummed right now because my Dr told me in 2005 I needed the bypass because the lining in my stomach was separating but I was afraid to do it and now I'm possibly facing it ð??"
ladygodiva1228
on 1/12/18 1:32 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Angela may I suggest you start a thread on the General Forum "who has gone from band to sleeve and then bypass due to acid" you will get more answers and first hand experiences as that board is very active. Best of luck to as acid really sucks.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Recent Topics