Revision, RNY to Lap Band!

liz24
on 2/18/18 9:21 pm

It is very common, its called Band over Bypass, and has been around since the 90s actually.

babsinga
on 2/19/18 9:22 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

Lets clarify. The LapBand over Bypass has NOT been since 1990's . It my be vertical gastric banding but there wasn't an FDA approved lapband available until 2002 in the US. You may be referring to VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty) but there wasnt a BOB surgery involving a lapband. I would ask your 'revision surgeon" how many of these he/she has done, what the success is of those patients, what the exact name of your procedure is etc.....

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

liz24
on 2/19/18 10:51 am

Oh I'm sorry u r right, I read Carrie Wilson had it done in 1999, but it was really 2012

Patty R.
on 2/18/18 9:14 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I looked this up because I was interested in how it would work. I am also a revision from band to bypass. I had many terrible years until it came out.

My concern is the band squeezing against the "cut" side of the pouch. Even though it's healed it's an area that may be sensitive to pressure from the band. The band is placed in the middle of the pouch, like it has a waist!

I wish you the best!

dcopehp
on 2/19/18 7:16 pm - New York, NY

Congrats on taking steps to get healthy!

Im having a revision from rny to DS. I know bob used to be the only option as a revision. Most people seemed to have a little luck losing additional weight.

the main hesitation I have about bob is it will not allow you to have any other revision down the line.

liz24
on 2/19/18 7:18 pm

U said it won't allow any other revision down the line? Why so? I couldnt do DS?

dcopehp
on 2/20/18 5:38 pm - New York, NY

When you have a revision from an rny to a DS, the first stage is to put the gastric pouch back together with the remnant stomach. Then the recut the stomach into a sleeve.

when you put a band on the pouch it can cause damage and make it harder to create the sleeve. I'm sure you might be able to find someone to do it, but it's hard enough to get a straight up revision for the rny.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/18 5:45 am

If you feel you need and can accept the vitamin supplementation and risks of the most extreme surgery - why don't you just get a DS?

Lots of long term posters here including ( pre surgery ) lightweights are extremely happy with the results of that surgery.

My common sense rebels at the idea of long term lapband or gastric balloon.. or any weight loss " therapy" in pill form.

nunini
on 2/22/18 12:51 am - Hollywood, FL

Hi!

It sounds like a terrible idea, but don't talk to just anyone. Get a couple of opinions from doctors who are NOT surgeons. Go online. Here is a link to several revision options:

ttps://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/gastric-bypass-revision.html

Best wishes,

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/18 8:53 pm

You also can get your RNY made more distal- and a distal RNY acts very similarly to a DS perhaps with a little less fat malabsorption long term.

Most Active
Recent Topics