Feeling hopeless

Inannarf6
on 3/6/18 8:18 pm

Hi everyone,

i am new to this group. I had RNY in 2011. I lost 90 pounds. I have since gained 55. I feel like a failure and just feel hopeless. The Dr. That did my surgery does not do gastric bypass anymore and will not see me. The support gruop in my area is no longer happening. I would love to have another surgery knowing what I know now I feel I would be much more successful. My insurance won't cover it though. Any suggestions.

dcopehp
on 3/6/18 10:08 pm - New York, NY

It is so easy to feel shame and take ALL of the blame for regaining weight. I'm in the process of getting a revision from an RNY to a DS and it took awhile to understand that it's ok to have failed.

Obesity is the ONLY disease where the medical community and insurance company only wants to treat once. Imagine if they refused to treat someone who had a second heart attack because they didn't exercise.

Blue Cross actually addresses this in their policy saying obesity is like any other disease. Some people will need multiple treatments to be successful.

i hope you are able to look for an insurance policy that will pay for a revision or conversion. Until then, have you tried something like the 5-day pouch test to help shrink your pouch?

Also, if you have insurance, you might say you are having a burning sensation your insurance will pay for an endoscopy which would tell you if you have a fistula or any other problem that might also contributed to your weight gain.

good luck!

Inannarf6
on 3/7/18 12:53 am

Thank you. I have not tried the pouch test. I will try that. ?

ladygodiva1228
on 3/7/18 5:49 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 7, 2018 at 4:18 AM Pacific Time, Inannarf6 wrote:

Hi everyone,

i am new to this group. I had RNY in 2011. I lost 90 pounds. I have since gained 55. I feel like a failure and just feel hopeless. The Dr. That did my surgery does not do gastric bypass anymore and will not see me. The support gruop in my area is no longer happening. I would love to have another surgery knowing what I know now I feel I would be much more successful. My insurance won't cover it though. Any suggestions.

Ok what does your daily menu look like? Are you tracking/weighing/measuring what you eat? How is your vitamin and water intake?

Unless there is something truly wrong with your original surgery most surgeons will not revise.

I would like to suggest getting back to basics. I have seen folks on here who have had big regains go back to the dense protein, tracking everything and making sure their water and vitamins are in check and lose the regain. It is a bit harder further out, but it is 100% possible.

I highly suggest looking at this site https://fivedaymeattest.com/sample-menu/sample-2-working-on- regain/ and this one world according to eggface

Good Luck

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 5:49 am
VSG on 03/01/18

Good Morning. You are not a failure. You have only gained half the weight back, so you're half way there. I have heard of a pouch reset, I think it's done by a liquid diet for a few days. You may want a do-over, relive the honeymoon stage of losing. We all want a do over of some sort and very rarely get it. But this do over you can give yourself. With the same will we do yhe liquid diet with before surgery or before a colonoscopy. I always wondered how I could exhibit so much will power for a medical procedure but not to lose unwanted weight.

But I should put a disclaimer right here, lol. I have'nt had surgery yet & am a newbie here.

MichelleN1
on 3/9/18 12:28 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

Hi there! I'm in the same boat. I have no restriction at all and horrid heartburn so I make bad choices when that starts going at night (think popcorn and bread type things-it's the only thing that helps now that I can't take Prilosec anymore). The 5 day pouch is crap. It's just liquid for a few days then protein. It doesn't magically make you "feel full" again. I tried it...you can get protein shakes and soup for 3 days and some emergen-c and save 50.00-you're welcome. I started South beach and it's going well-I've re-lost 14lbs (HW-320, SW-277, LW-201, CW-255). Pick something that's easy if there is no time. I'm doing meal delivery and it's taking the prep time out of my hands. I'm starting back on prepping my own food this week since I have off and can take the time. Honestly, there are days I'd rather have the ability to take Motrin than have done this surgery, but I did it so I must keep doing what I can, when I can, to get back on track. You can't just give up...try something, anything to get back on track!

such_a_pretty_face
on 3/11/18 1:26 pm, edited 3/11/18 6:26 am

Hi, Its been years since I've been on this site so I feel new again. I know exactly how you feel. You are not alone and our journeys are very similar. I had RNY in 2010, lost 90 pounds ( 38% of excess) but have gained back 40. I felt like a failure, because despite weighing/measuring/counting calories I did not lose an ounce after month 9. I didn't even get my whole year of honeymoon period. I think there may have been some surgery issue, I don't know how much small bowel was bypassed but I do know I haven't taken a vitamin in at least 5 years and all my levels remain normal. I will be having a revision later this year ( timing for work and school), I have recurrent marginal ulcers and an enlarged pouch. My insurance will approve because of the ulcers that won't heal. Do you have any ulcer type symptoms that need to be investigated? My surgeon will resize pouch and resect the ulcerated area. I don't really know if that may help me lose but I hope it does. Good luck to you.

KayLavonne
on 3/13/18 2:02 pm

I feel this way too. But I know where my faults lie. Now I have to re loose this weight, and am more determined than ever. I am glad that others are sharing the same experiences and feelings with weight gain. Good to know that I am not alone.

Most Active
Recent Topics