How much weight did you lose after RNY revision surgery?

MyBariatricLife
on 4/29/18 1:47 pm

I am seeking information from actual people who've had revision to their primary gastric bypass. It is really hard to find information on the Internet regarding this.

One surgeon said 20-40 percent.

One study showed 68%.

And that is ALL that I have been able to find.

Also, did you have any complications? I know the risk goes up with revision surgery versus the primary surgery. Thank you.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

dcopehp
on 5/1/18 1:59 pm - New York, NY

Are you asking about a revision to your gastric bypass or conversion of you gastric bypass to the DS?

tevision to you bypass, I believe is in the 20-30%.

Conversion to DS is closer to 60-80-%

MyBariatricLife
on 5/1/18 2:56 pm

Yes, revision to the bypass. The technique that I am familiar with reduces the size of the pouch, tightens the stoma, and bypasses more intestine. I am wondering if it will correct digestive disorders that I have been suffering with for years and which nothing has been able to correct. And I was trying to understand how much weight is generally lost with the surgery.

I wonder, too, how much difference their is in the amount of intestine that is bypassed in the RNY revision versus the amount of intestine that is bypassed in the DS.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/1/18 7:04 pm

I personally think that revising to ERNY can make your SIBO worse, not better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyBariatricLife
on 5/1/18 7:29 pm

I would like to hear your opinion on this. I have spoken with you in the past and you are very knowledgeable. Please tell me why you think ERNY can make it worse. Thank you.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/3/18 7:05 am

To me it is a common sense. More intestine that has no acid from the remnant stoma*****reases the area that to SIBO can go crazy. More undigested food the bacteria can work on.

I would suggest you find a very good gastro who know about SIBO and knows how to handle that.

SIBO and weight gain can be corrected - keep in check, with very strict diet. Proteins, good fats, some non starchy veggies. No sugar alcohols, too much fiber, etc. No sweets, alcohol, etc.

In worse case - antibiotics can be used, together with Rx for Candida.

Then once the treatment is finished - very strict diet with adding correct probiotics for the condition.

Finding good gastro or naturopathic doc, or functional medicine doc that understand and could help you manage the issues.

Healing the small intestine is a key. With SIBO can come leaky gut and food allergies.

And so on.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyBariatricLife
on 5/3/18 8:35 am

Tightening the stoma can delay emptying of food into the small intestine, which means increased digestion in the stomach and less occurrence of undigested food particles entering the small intestine, which leads to bacteria in the small intestines that do not belong there.

Also, I have a motility issue so bypassing more of the intestine means less transit time, and less time for food to ferment in the bowels, which also is a cause of SIBO.

Of course, motility can also be increased with the use of pro-kinetics. And digestion can be aided in the stomach with digestive enzymes and fully chewing the food in the mouth until it is liquid. And I do understand how to rebuild my gut and the diet that I will need to follow afterwards so that the good bacteria outnumber the bad. And in theory, I understand how to kill the bad bacteria and parasites and candida/fungi. But all this is a life-long battle. So if the surgery could return my digestive system to normalcy then I will further explore it. As with any surgery there is always risk... and if it is more likely that the surgery will cause more harm then good then of course I will not explore it.

Most people lose weight with SIBO and go underweight. I assume this is because the bacteria are taking so much of the nutrients from the food -- this part is of particular concern to RNY patients who are already receiving less nutrients from our food. That's also a concern with further bypassing more intestines, although is this any worse than the DS?

I have worked with many healthcare professionals allopathic to naturopathic and tried every treatment modality that I can get my hands on across the past 4-years. Instead I have gotten worse rather than better. It was only at my insistence that my current GI did the SIBO test, which seems a no-brainer to do given that my condition manifested when I swam in bacteria-contaminated water. As well, anyone with IBS should be tested for SIBO in my opinion. As well, they are doing a stool test at my insistence to check for parasites. I cannot believe no one has done these tests until I insisted.

Would you like to guess how many times in my life that I have been right and my doctors have been wrong? More times than I can count. And my first GI that I went to with this condition was the head of digestive disorders at IU Health and a key opinion leader in his field. So I wish that I knew then what I know now.

And this is part of the reason that I won't necessarily trust a bariatric surgeon if s/he tells me that the revision will help/cure my digestive health, and why I want to hear from patients.

I also need to be tested for Lyme. There is a link between Lyme and SIBO. And a Lyme Literate MD can heal not only Lyme but it's co-infections, as well as treat for parasites and fungi. This is what I am going to do next, although I am currently doing a partial elemental diet and using other things to kill off the SIBO.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Amy R.
on 5/3/18 9:50 am

So if the surgery could return my digestive system to normalcy then I will further explore it

How in the world you could think that bypassing more intestine could return anything to normalcy is beyond me.

It looks and sounds like you already know the answers you want to hear. Hala was kind to take the time to attempt a dialogue with you. But you have your own answers. In which case none of us can help you whatsoever.

By the way - have you thought of updating your avatar? It seems a bit disingenuous, which in here isn't a huge deal I guess but not having a more recent one on your business page/blog/whatever seems misleading.

MyBariatricLife
on 5/3/18 1:11 pm

Why in the world would you think that my avatar is outdated or misleading? It sounds like you have made up some story to tell yourself, one that is not based in reality.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Amy R.
on 5/4/18 7:59 pm, edited 5/4/18 11:08 pm

I don't think I am the one who may be making up stories. Did you forget you have twitter followers?

edited to remove link that may have been a violation of OH TOS.

Most Active
Recent Topics