Revion Options from RNY

JJT
on 8/20/18 7:50 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

I had RNY 30 years ago. September of 2016 I sought a revision I was 543 pounds. By surgery date I was 404 which was one year later. My surgeon had me do six month dieting for insurance purposes. I took advantage of that time. RNY revisions haven't proven successful so many Drs. won't consider them. However there are success stories out there. Each one I have found it was more the persons efforts then the surgery, as is mine. The surgery gives you a fighting chance but you really have to push that extra mile when you have an RNY and they are going to try to strengthen (my term) the RNY surgery. My doctor made me distal bypassing more intestines. (Thankfully none of the complaints happen to me. In fact I no longer have the dumping. Not sure that is good but I never liked sweets so it doesn't bother me or tempt me. It's not the norm just how I turned out.) She made my pouch smaller. She basically redid the entire surgery over. Many doctors just will tighten the pouch, or just will lengthen the limb. She did it all. Yes there was a chance of greater complications and my size alone made me very high risk. She had to go through two stomach surgeries of adhesion's to do this with a lap. So however many times your stomach has been operated on is that many times the adhesion's. So if you haven't closed your browser reading this then yes it can be done, yes it can be successful but you will work a lot harder this time around then the first time. Age and the fact it's not new will be against you. Watching what you eat, doing what they tell you and exercising like a demon will help you along. A normal RNY has average weight loss statistics of 70% of your excess weight. A RNY revision to an RNY has about 50 pounds of weight loss. (Remember this time you need to work that tool like never before.) I am currently three weeks from being one year out and from surgery I am at 70% and if I add in what I did before surgery I am at 80%. You can do it don't let the doctors tell you it won't work or the failures make up your mind. Commit to it and it can happen for you.

Good Luck!

Insurance dictates the process as does your surgeon's program. My process was the following.

1. Had to use a Center of Excellence.

2. Initial meeting to see if I would be accepted.

3. Tests had to be ran due to previous RNY and a follow up visit with Surgeon.

4. Six month of a physician supervised diet and all the documentation needed.

5. Took a month to get in to see the surgeon after the six months.

6. Surgeon appointment.

7. Submit to insurance. (Told by representative it would not be covered. Submitted and was approved in two weeks. Don't listen to anything they tell you on the phone. Work the program.)

8. Got a call to return for a dietary class. I"m from out of town so scheduling me to them took a month.

9. Got a call after the class to do preop tests and a surgery date. She is a busy surgeon so took a month or so to get a date.

10. One year from the exact date of the initial consult I had surgery.

This is my story but everyone is very different. Your Surgeon's program will drive most of the timeline other than insurance approval.

Just a side note. I had a problem after surgery that was due to surgery not the fact it was bariatric. I had to return and have a simple procedure done. I smile now because when I told the Radiologist the surgery I had she seem surprised anyone would bother with a revision. She was rather arrogant about it because it's not known for it's huge success ratio. Oh how I wish I could talk to her now.

Most Active
Recent Topics