Sleeve to bypass on Tuesday! Any post op suggestions or warnings?

An10222
on 6/30/18 10:32 am, edited 6/30/18 10:34 am

Hi I had vsg 3/19/18. Ive only had complications the last 16 weeks. Converting to bypass this Tuesday. Just so leary of everything now. I'm just wanting to hear stories of others who had the revision done so early after vsg and what their post op experiences were. How were the few days,weeks,months?? Thank you ?? Please any help!!

PaulaS
on 7/3/18 6:26 am - TX

My revision from VSG to RNY was 7 years later, so not right after VSG. But, I am 12 days out and it has been almost as if I haven't had more surgery. No pain whatsoever. I knew the ropes so to speak so getting fluids/protein in has been much easier for me this time.

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
An10222
on 7/3/18 11:11 pm

Thank you Paula for responding. My revision from sleeve to bypass rny was done this morning. I also had a hernia repair, repaired. The pain on my left side is excruciating. It took almost 5 hours and I feel so exhausted from the past 4 months. I have fears and concerns I've never had before March. I'm afraid of food now since I haven't eaten or drank anything in 4 months. Im glad things are going well for you. Let me know how things are going if you'd like. We're 12 days apart. I have an upper GI tomorrow to make sure all is well. I want my spirit back. Thank you again ??

lbarry01
on 7/5/18 5:53 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I wish you the best too, I had my VSG in 2012 and because of hormones with untreated PCOS and getting back into bad habits I am meeting with my doctor about conversion to by-pass. It is scary and especially that you had an hernia repair would bring on more worry. It seems like you are a strong one, I appreciate you and Paula sharing your experiences. I have almost gained all of my 80 lbs back and nervous about it being harder to loose second time around I know if I do this and loose I will continue loosing and not look back. My health issues are becoming chronic at this point. Did the doc give you a percentage of weight you were due to loose on the second surgery? Have you taken care of yourself with vitamins and other nutrition?

momyshaver
on 7/8/18 4:22 am
VSG on 06/28/17
On July 4, 2018 at 6:11 AM Pacific Time, An10222 wrote:

Thank you Paula for responding. My revision from sleeve to bypass rny was done this morning. I also had a hernia repair, repaired. The pain on my left side is excruciating. It took almost 5 hours and I feel so exhausted from the past 4 months. I have fears and concerns I've never had before March. I'm afraid of food now since I haven't eaten or drank anything in 4 months. Im glad things are going well for you. Let me know how things are going if you'd like. We're 12 days apart. I have an upper GI tomorrow to make sure all is well. I want my spirit back. Thank you again ??

I hope you are recovering well. How are you feeling. My heart just hurts for what the past few months must have been like for you. I may be dealing with a revision for a angled stricture discovered at 1 year, (led to difficulties and malnutrition, hydration struggles etc), and my spirit is weary as well as I face my options. I think you just hit this wall where very few understand what it is like. I really hope that your revision allows your health and spirit to rebound in a positive way so that you can experience the life you were envisioning when you had WLS.

An10222
on 7/15/18 7:00 am

Hi there, it's been almost two weeks since my revision and I'm still getting my nutrition and hydration from my PICC line. I wake up crying and in pain and I go to sleep the same way. I'm at a loss for words this morning except to say, I wish I could go back to the day before my first surgery. I'm losing weight but I'm so unhappy and severely uncomfortable. I know I can't turn back time but this is way too much to handle. Everything that can happen that's not good is happening. Any advice I'm exhausted, 19 weeks out tomorrow. ???

momyshaver
on 7/15/18 7:12 am
VSG on 06/28/17
On July 15, 2018 at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, An10222 wrote:

Hi there, it's been almost two weeks since my revision and I'm still getting my nutrition and hydration from my PICC line. I wake up crying and in pain and I go to sleep the same way. I'm at a loss for words this morning except to say, I wish I could go back to the day before my first surgery. I'm losing weight but I'm so unhappy and severely uncomfortable. I know I can't turn back time but this is way too much to handle. Everything that can happen that's not good is happening. Any advice I'm exhausted, 19 weeks out tomorrow. ???

What complications led to the revision and what is continuing to cause problems after the revision that you are still on the PICC line? I am so so sorry for everything that you have gone through and are going through. I hope that things improve for you soon. Do you have emotional support in your immediate circle at home, etc?

An10222
on 8/25/18 11:37 am

Hi there just wanted to let you know slowly I'm getting better! Moving forward! Thank you for your thoughts and kind words I deeply appreciate it ??

momyshaver
on 8/25/18 11:54 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I am so glad to read that your recovery has improved

PaulaS
on 7/4/18 7:54 am - TX

I have been very lucky - no pain whatsoever. They thought I might have a HH, but when he went in found I didn't. The HH repair may cause more pain, or so I have read.

Hopefully you're feeling better today!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Most Active
Recent Topics