mid back pain when eating, 6 wks out GS rev from RNY

hoosierapple
on 7/19/18 8:13 am
Revision on 06/05/18

had revision from RNY to GS, due to needing treatment for arthritis.

I am about 6 wks out, and starting phase 3 of foods, adding a few more semi-solids... each time I eat, whether its one bite or my full 2 oz, I have started get mid-back pain. I have taken gas-x which to some degree helps - but does not make alleviate the pain. I eat slowly and chew chew chew.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have called my surgeons office who is scheduling a "precautionary" endoscopy, but am still nervous. My hope is that is just gas and nothing more.

This is all new to me, as when i had the RNY 6 years ago... I had no issues whatsoever.

(Note... RNY 4/30/12, revision to GS 6/5/18)

ladygodiva1228
on 7/19/18 11:57 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You went from the bypass to the sleeve am I understanding the correctly? What type of treatment do you need for arthritis that would warrant that type of revision? If it was to be able to take NSAIDS you may be in for bad news as NSAIDS are not good for any type of WLS.

It could be acid causing the pain. Especially if is just recently started.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

hoosierapple
on 7/19/18 1:03 pm, edited 7/19/18 6:03 am
Revision on 06/05/18

Hi Lady Godiva... thank you for your response. :)

It was at the recommendation of my bariatric surgeon to have the revision from RNY to GS... When my surgeon made the recommendation for the revision, I got a second opinion... who also agreed this was the best option for my medical situation.

With the GS -- as long as you are being followed and monitored closely by a physician, which I am, there are no medication restrictions. I am continuing my acid reflux medicine, as a preventative medicine that I've been on since my RNY - 6 years ago. As of yet, I have not started arthritis treatment, the recommendation was to wait 60 days post-op.

*fingers crossed that it's just a gas issue and easily treated*

jaspect
on 7/21/18 8:04 pm

I don't think they are giving you the right info. I just had to have a revision from sleeve to RNY because my esophagus was burned from even mild usage of pain medications for arthritis. Not only was it burned, my reflux was so bad that I had to stop eating at least 5 hours before going to bed.

hoosierapple
on 7/22/18 4:25 am
Revision on 06/05/18

thank you for the info... i appreciate your input. :)

TheWombat
on 7/19/18 1:59 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Is this mid-back pain more predominant on the right side? That's how I felt when I had gallstones. (I had my gallbladder removed a few decades ago.) Do you still have your gallbladder?

hoosierapple
on 7/19/18 2:11 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

Hi Wombat... I no longer have my gallbladder, it was taken out a year after my RNY. My pain is mid back, kinda more left side. But thank you for your reply. :)

hoosierapple
on 7/25/18 5:18 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

UPDATE... Endscopy revealed "severe stenosis".

Most Active
Recent Topics