Revision Band to RNY or DS... Stressing out about it.

Tyreebme
on 7/23/18 7:19 pm, edited 7/24/18 9:10 am

I was set up to have the DS on AUG 13th, but I may go for the RNY do to my doctor just had spinal surgery and he is saying that he will not be physically capable of performing the DS by my surgery date. I can push the date out and have the DS done, but all of my support from family flying in and papers have been set for my current date and they are very hard to change.
My Surgery is Aug 13th. And I was excited til today. My Surgeon is basically putting it in my hands to choose. He says that the DS would be better for me. But because there may be complications do to the band not easy to remove that he may not be able to put the sleeve part of the DS and he would probably have to do the RNY anyway.
I was mentally prepared for the DS, but now I?m conflicted. I really don?t want to push out my date again.

jaspect
on 7/24/18 8:53 am

I had a revision because I started having complications with the band and then the sleeve. I would not recommend the band to anyone.

Lap Band: Mexico 2014 (280 lbs)

Sleeve: Mexico 2010 (240 lbs)

RNY and Hiatal Hernia Repair: USA 2018 (210 lbs)

Goal: 160 lbs

iamtina
on 7/27/18 3:55 am - Cookeville, TN

I noticed you had the gastric sleeve. Why did you have to have another surgery after that procedure? Did they not remove your stomach or did the stomach stretch?? I am so new to the sleeve surgery I am nervous about it.

jaspect
on 7/27/18 4:29 am

I had complications from the lap band. The place where the band was, made that area kind of grow together. When I had the sleeve, I had complications because my stomach actually slipped though my diaphragm giving me a Hiatal Hernia and an eroded esophagus because of years of medications.

The only way to fix it was to get the RNY. That's where I am at right now!

Tyreebme
on 7/29/18 4:13 pm

Yea, the band can Kick Major Rocks...

kimiam
on 7/29/18 7:09 pm - riverside, CA

I am having RNy in the morning , I can't wait to get this crap band removed. I am going with RNy because There are a lot of people needing revisions and my current insurance only covers 1 WLS surgery per lifetime. Good luck to you

jaspect
on 7/30/18 5:12 am

Good Luck on your surgery! Everything will go well :) I could not wait to get the band removed either! Yipee!

Ladytazz
on 7/31/18 7:00 pm

Please don't settle for less than what you really want. I know it's a major inconvenience to wait a bit longer but not as inconvenient as another failed WLS. If your doctor recommends the DS and you have your heart set on it than it would be best to wait than to settle for something you don't really want.

It is a big deal now but I promise you in a year you will be happy you waited for what you want. You have to live with this for the rest of your life. In the grand scheme of things a few weeks is not a big price to pay for having the surgery you want that works best for you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pineview01
on 7/31/18 7:35 pm - Davison, MI

This is great advise! I totally agree. If I had a choice between the two DS for sure. Nobody does them in my insurance area. But If I ever have an issue with my sleeve (started with lap band), I can switch to a DS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics