Revision from VSG to RNY after full regain...

Capegin
on 7/25/18 1:34 pm

Hello,

I had a successful VSG in 2014. However, after a couple of years I regained everything. Tomorrow, I am scheduled for a revision go Gastric Bypass. My surgeon has been very candid with me about the potential for less dramatic weight loss, which is ok with me. I just want to know if anyone out there has had similar situations. Did you lose some weight with the revision? I know it will correct my GERD, but I also hope it leads to some loss as well.

Thank you,

Ginnie

Izzy612
on 7/30/18 7:06 pm

I just had my VSG to RNY revision in May and have lost over 40lbs. Since surgery and over 60lbs. From my highest in the program. My weight loss has been steady with multiple stalls if that makes sense.

Like you, I am a not worried about losing quickly. I just want it to stay off and I am more dedicated that ever. I too had full regain and GERD

Capegin
on 7/30/18 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! I am encouraged to know that you did lose some!! Yhat's all I want!

Thank you, and I wish you continued success!!

thanks,

Ginnie

p.s. Did the revision fix your GERD?

Izzy612
on 8/4/18 9:05 am

Yes, GERD is all gone

Ladytazz
on 7/31/18 6:51 pm

I had a revision in 2010. I started out at 240 lbs, lost to 120 lbs and then started back up to 220 lbs.

My revision was due to other issues besides the weight gain. I was so sick I wanted a reversal. I was told that I couldn't be reversed, only revised to correct an anatomical issue. I originally had a sleeve as part of my malabsorptive first surgery and my doctor made the sleeve, which was very large, into a RNY pouch.

I will never forget my surgeon telling me not to expect much weight loss. I don't know if he told me this because I had failed so miserably or what but I didn't care if I lost any weight, I just wanted to stop gaining.

I decided after my revision to try something novel and actually follow the directions that I blatantly ignored the first time around. Protein first, no refined carbs, weighed and measured every bite.

Not only did I lose weight but I lost even faster than the first time and actually got too low. I don't know who was more surprised, me or my doctor. It has been 8 years now and I have kept the weight off by continuing to follow directions.

I really didn't expect to lose that much weight because I have always heard that revisions don't do as well as first time surgeries and I am happy to report that it wasn't true in my case. What matters more is what I eat and as long as I follow the rules I have managed to have a successful revision. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged. Use what you have learned from your previous failures and you can also be successful. I always say my previous failures are my greatest assets. You already know what not to do, now put that experience to work and do what you know you can do to turn it around.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Capegin
on 7/31/18 7:58 pm

Thank you so much for responding! I am so encouraged that you have kept the weight off for so long after a dramatic regain with the sleeve. Thank you!!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/2/18 10:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hi Ginnie. I remember you from a few years back. Did your surgery go ok? I hope you're feeling well.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

msstori01
on 9/1/18 8:14 am
RNY on 08/27/19

Hello!

This past Monday I had a revision from Eevr to RNY. Thank you for posting this. I

gad the same questions myself

Most Active
Recent Topics