TORe

Zaniiaim
on 9/5/18 3:09 pm - CA

Has anyone had a transoral outlet reduction? What are your experiences? Did Insurance pay?

im debating my options as my bypass is no longer working and I had a huge weight gain. Thanks

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

ladygodiva1228
on 9/6/18 4:42 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

From what I have seen if this is anything like the ROSE or overstitch procedure most insurances do not cover it and the weight loss has been minimal like 50lbs or less.

You say your bypass is no longer working did a doctor tell you this or are you just assuming it isn't working?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Zaniiaim
on 9/6/18 8:21 am - CA

My stoma is huge. I'm just weighing all my options right now.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

hollykim
on 9/6/18 1:38 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 6, 2018 at 3:21 PM Pacific Time, Zaniiaim wrote:

My stoma is huge. I'm just weighing all my options right now.

how do you know your stoma is huge?

MarinaGirl
on 9/8/18 6:59 am

If you eat dense protein first, followed by non-starchy vegetables, and don't drink during and after meals, do you still feel restriction?

Many folks on OH that post their surgeries are no longer working are actually consuming a lot of slider foods, and when they refocus on dense protein first they find their tool is still functional.

Donna L.
on 9/8/18 10:01 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Most insurance will not cover revisions unless there is a defect to the original procedure. Before you revise, review habit carefully. What are you eating daily? Even with a DS if you eat enough carby crap you may gain weight.

If a revision is warranted after, a more logical step is to revise to either the DS or something similar, because that provides further inoculation against weight gain. Having said that, you are committing to having to eat high protein and fat on an obligatory basis. With a bypass this is mildly inconvenient if we do not (though dangerous long term), but with a DS there are more serious consequences. Having said that, if you can adhere to the vitamin and food regimen most of us should post-op, while the DS one differs quite a bit, you should still be able to follow it.

Even with a large stoma, though, people still lose weight with the bypass. Most of the procedures that reduce pouch size typically don't result in long-term loss that I would consider notable. I am, however, not a doctor, so I would consult a surgeon who isn't trying to sell you overstitch or TOR procedures - preferably one who does the DS or SIPS or whatever it is, because DS surgeons have to have substantial training and are thus highly skilled due to the nature of the surgery. That is, they will be able to provide input regarding many procedures aside from the ones they do.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Zaniiaim
on 9/9/18 2:05 am - CA

Thank you for the response. I was scoped so I know my stoma and pouch are enlarged. How does one lose weight when my pouch seems to always be empty? I don't get full. It's horrible, I blame myself some but I also blame my medicine abilify. It caused me to eat compulsively for over a year until I figured out what was happening. I need to research the best procedure for revision, I don't want to be doing this again which is why I feel the switch is forever unless I screw it up. I'm very compliant with my vitamins so I'm not too concerned about post op.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Most Active
Recent Topics