Gastric bypass in 2013 and now having a revision of the gastric bypass. Anyone done the...

rows4u
on 9/27/18 7:40 am
Revision on 03/11/13

I had Gastric sleeve in 2009 at my highest weight ever at 310. I lost a total of 50-60Lbs but within 2 years I got divorced, graduated college, had my third son, started teaching special ed behavior kids, and learned how to cheat the system (chocolate shakes, thin cake or ice cream, etc, basically anything I could down that was sweet and easy to take in) I stopped working out and did all the things wrong. I was lucky enough to get a second chance and had the gastric by pass revision surgery completed in March of 2011 By John Alexander in Dallas TX. The surgery was a great success for a long time,Then came the complications. I started having trouble with hair loss, vitamin issues, and energy level. 5 years later everything seemed to be doing good but I have managed to get myself back up to 205. My lowest weight was 175. I've been having pain in my stomach and started feeling like I was going to get sick every time I ate, so I went and had an endoscopy done and they found that I have a hernia, enlarged opening to my small intestines, a small pouch at the beginning of my small intestines, and I've slightly stretched out my stomach. All in all a revision to the gastric bypass is being done in December. I was wondering if anyone has had a revision surgery of the gastric bypass by just doing another gastric bypass because basically he said that's what he's doing along with fixing the hernia with mesh. I worry about more complications and losing too much weight. Thoughts, advice, experiences?

MarinaGirl
on 9/27/18 8:02 pm

I recommend you contact the following surgeon for a second opinion on how to best proceed; he does video consultations for out-of-area clients.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS

10 Congress St, Ste 300

Pasadena, CA 91105

Phone: 818-821-7222

rows4u
on 9/27/18 8:36 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Are you recommending that based off of something that I said or have done? Or you have been through the same thing and chose to go another route that you think might work better? Interested in why I should get an out of state opinion. Thanks!

Zaniiaim
on 10/7/18 1:03 pm - CA

I just had a revision to my bypass with another bypass on Thursday. In post op pain and drugged a bit so pardon my typos. It's great your surgeon is t trying to scam you with a band over bypass or some nonsense. Revision from bypass to bypass is the best! So far I'm doing great, apparently my first surgeon left me with a pretty big pouch. What questions do you have? I will check in after my nap, lol, I'd forgotten how exhausting this is.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

rows4u
on 10/19/18 1:31 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Thank you for responding. Are you having to do a liquid diet post surgery like the previous surgery. I'm wondering if the weight loss will be as quick as the first surgery as well. I've had skin removal surgery already and hoping not to drop weight fast so that my skin has time to go back in transitional stages. How soon do you plan on going back to work?

Zaniiaim
on 10/19/18 1:51 pm, edited 10/19/18 6:52 am - CA

Hi- I did two weeks liquid post op and just now started on soft proteins. This surgeon has stricter dietary rules than my original. As of today Im two weeks out and I feel great. My restriction is far greater than it was with my first bypass. I think some surgeons are more aggressive than others with pouch size. I?m losing slower but I am also 7 years older and I?ve had a hysterectomy so my metabolism is far slower. This surgeon did tell me with women over 40, regain over time is almost a guarantee if we don?t incorporate hard exercise into our lives. And he means hard! Wants me doing cardio 5x a week with my heart rate over 150. No strolling around the lake lol. I can?t wait for my skin surgery! Good luck

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 1:34 pm

Hi - I'm just wondering how your revision went? Are you losing weight as you expected and how are you feeling?

Laura in Texas
on 10/20/18 10:01 am

The hernia should definitely be fixed, but honestly, another bariatric surgery could be dangerous. The more surgeries you have to your stomach, the more likely it is that you will have complications. If you do have another revision, the odds are you will not get too thin. From what people have posed here, the average loss from RNY revision is only about 20-30 pounds.

I hope you have researched your surgeon thoroughly. Revisions are much more complicated than original surgeries. This is why another person in this thread recommended Dr. Keshishikan in California. He is an expert in revisions and one of the only doctors I would consider if I were in your spot.

Remember that our eating habits account for our success or failure. Surgery is not magic.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 10/20/18 10:54 am - Warren, OH

What Laura in Texas said. Revisions usually result in 20 pounds of loss and most of that is from the pre-surgery liquid diet.

The surgical malabsorption of RNY is pretty much a once in a lifetime thing as far as a lot of weight loss. There are exceptions to everything of course.

Losing and maintaining weight is a matter of how many calories you take in and how many you burn off. That is true whether you have surgery or not.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics