Removal of remnant

such_a_pretty_face
on 11/4/18 6:31 pm

So, I had surgery Wednesday for marginal ulcers. When they got in everything was so damaged and scarred down they had to remove most of my remnant, majority of my pouch, and part of my small bowel. Held in hospital for fluid/electrolyte administration until Saturday afternoon. The original surgery was not for weight loss but for quality of life, I could not go a day without pain and/or vomiting. I was told there likely would not be a large amount of weight loss.. probably because I was not successful with original RNY. After surgery they now say differently, that because of the amount of stomach that was taken there will be weight loss. Unsure of how much. Anybody with any insight? This seems to be atypical and I'm in uncharted waters.

Ladytazz
on 11/13/18 8:01 pm

I had my remnant stomach removed with my revision in 2010, along with all of my stomach except the pouch. I was also told not to except much weight loss. However I decided to take advantage of my second chance and followed the post op diet to a T and lost all my excess weight and then some.

Now it is 8 years later and I have kept off all the excess weight. I have a lot of restriction and that makes it easier to eat like I should. As long as you follow the post op eating recommendations you should be able to lose the weight and keep it off. That is the key, though. If you continue to eat the way you did before the surgery you probably will continue to be heavy.

I never really experienced much restriction with the first surgery so having restriction was a game changer for me. I always knew that I needed to change my eating habits but until I experienced restriction it was always very difficult. Now it is still difficult but doable with the extra help.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LynLovesLife
on 11/25/18 7:54 am
RNY on 10/21/13

I never had much restriction but I lost 70 pounds. I found out later my pouch was twice the size it should be. Now I have to have a revision. I plan on following it to a t even when traveling. I have put protein bars in the car in case we can't eat on time. No more eating out.

Most Active
Recent Topics