5 days post op VSG to Bypass. Need advice please

Kchic
on 12/26/18 1:35 pm
RNY on 12/21/18

I have been reading up and trying to mostly listen but I'm in need to some help and insight. I had the sleeve in 2012, no complications initially and I was extremely happy with the results I did start to get some mild heartburn a cpupme months out. They put me on omeprazole and all was good as long as I was careful and didn't eat too close to bed as it would come right back up. The heartburn got worse and in 2015 I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I had it repaired and it did seem to help my heartburn a little. EDG showed gastritis etc. Early this year I had an episode of extreme chest pain in the middle of the night and had an EDG showed inflammation in my duodenum but not much else. The pain was radiating to my middle back as well. Upped my meds, put me on more meds. Had a 24hr PH study which showed I was reducing a lot, 237 episodes in 24 hours. Was told only option bypass. Went forward with bypass on the 21st. Dr. Chae in Denver is my surgeon and seems to be well known and respected. He said their were two issues....first, I had a hernia (another) and a pretty large one, he said my stomach was protruding through my diaphram. He also said my stomach had a kink in it and that is where he made the cut. He did say the hernia may come back. I was pretty out of it and just wanted to go home and rest. Been drinking premier protein shakes and getting in my fluids. Last night, Christmas of course, I started to get pain in my upper left side. It was wrapping around my rib cage perhaps just at or under a bra line and radiating to my back. It hurt really bad. Got to the point that I took some pain meds and went to lay down. I couldn't not even lay on that side until the pain subsided. I thought about calling my surgeon but am seeing him Friday morning and really did not want to call on Christmas but it was excruciating until it went away.....perhaps got better with pain meds then went away an hour or two later. I don't know if it is the hernia that is back already (don't know how after just 5 days) or something being pushed into my diaphram. I dont know if it was maybe some gas (here's hoping) but I'm terrified. I have been reading sad stories all day about hernias and bowel obstructions and it seems this is my life now. I feel really depressed and just start crying randomly knowing I did this to myself. I am 35, no kids, great boyfriend but he doesn't understand. I just never even knew of all of the complications and it seems like they will never stop. I will speak to my doctor and I know you may only be able to provide your experiences/opinions but I am really low here and need a friend. Please. I'm scared. Any thoughts? Am I destined for a life of surgeries. Am I now prone to internal hernias and possible twisting? Thank you if you read my post, it means a lot.

catwoman7
on 12/27/18 8:20 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I can't really comment on the rest, but bowel obstructions are pretty rare. And I kind of doubt the hernia would be back after five days. Keep us posted - sorry you're going through this!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

DDaley
on 12/31/18 10:51 am
VSG on 05/11/15

Hi I was sleeved in May 2015 and have developed GERD. I originally was inquiring if I could be re-sleeved since I noticed the reflux after weight gain. My surgeon instead thinks a RNY is better. I am terrified to have this procedure. Can you advise your surgery experience and recovery? I still think a re-sleeve will resolve/improve my issue.

MarinaGirl
on 1/3/19 7:52 am, edited 1/2/19 11:58 pm

Why do you think a re-sleeve will resolve/improve your GERD? Do you have evidence to backup your assessment or is it because you're scared of RNY and need to do more research? To me it sounds like your surgeon is making the correct recommendation.

Not sure if you're aware but development of GERD is a risk of VSG. To resolve (or minimize) it, many surgeons recommend revision to RNY as the best long term treatment. If you don't trust your surgeon then I suggest meeting with 1-2 other bariatric surgeons for their professional opinions.

Good luck.

PinkGeorgiaPeach
on 1/9/19 10:03 am - Augusta, GA

I had an RNY Nov 28, 2018 due to GERD. I had developed intractable GERD. My sleeve was May 2008. I am very happy with my experience. Surgery went extremely smoothly and I am 66. But this is my experience and my journey. I was in the hospital less days with my rny than with my sleeve. Recovery is a little trickier as pertains to nutrition. You have to chew your calcium +D, b12 goes under the tongue, and I chew 2 flintstones vitamins each day. It is more strict and serious to slowly advance through the food stages of full liquids, purred foods, soft foods, and then finally to hit your forever foods. I am 6 weeks out and not our of pureed foods yet. Is is worth it? YES. I am off ALL acid reflux meds. Is weight loss slower? YES. Probably because I weight far less than I did when I had my sleeve. Is weight coming off? YES. Are there challenges? YES

I am up for any challenges. If I can make my feet hit the floor weekday mornings to go to the Y and exercise,

I can do anything. I am superwoman. And so are you!

KarenIzMe
on 1/7/19 8:16 pm

I don't know much about the sleeve at all but I had RNY in 2001. Before I had it, I had heartburn literally every night, since having RNY, I haven't had heartburn at all. Good luck!

PrivateCitizen
on 1/9/19 7:08 pm

"I have been reading sad stories all day about hernias and bowel obstructions ..."

Hi You MAY be prone to a hernia over time if you gain weight, and the organs push on a 'weak' fascia/'tissue like' ab muscles over the organs.

I am at OH to read up on options of all kinds since I have a large incisional hernia, or 'ventral hernia," mine was from extensive emergency abdominal surgery to save my life in 2011.

The "necrotic strangulation" people fear is less with a larger hernia, a bit of intestine poking between muscles is where the strangulation can happen.

If you imagine the tough sheath (fascia)over the intestines and organs, well, it develops an opening that gets larger, like an oval or circle. Or it can be like swiss cheese with smaller holes all over, and omomentum fat pushes thru.

I am GUESSING you have no immediate fascia/belly hernia opening. Mine took til 2014 to look a little rounded, then bigger each year til now.

The solution is plastic surgery, a piece of plastic surgical 'mesh' is placed over the opening, tacked to the other tissues, and it keeps the intestines and organs from creeping out. In 40% of obese patients men and women this large hernia is likely over time because the extra visceral fat around the organs pushes out, and, with 24/7 gravity, weakening the sutures and muscle.

Wearing a tight belly wrap band, Spanx girdles over time helps. your MD can tell you more on what is done to repair, but lying down on bed, & pulling up a 'girdle' is what many do.

Most Active
Recent Topics