Gastric Bypass Revision with complication - AFIB

Rainey23
on 2/6/19 1:38 pm
Revision on 10/29/18

I recently had surgery 10/29/2018, Gastric Bypass revision and Hiatal Hernia. I was told the day after surgery that I had a Gastric Fistula that was discovered during surgery. Previous to surgery my doctor said, "he is going to make my pouch very tight". At my one-week post op visit with the doctor, I mentioned I was having skip heart beats. He did not answer with a concern. Two weeks later I called 911 because my heart was racing. Went to emergency heart rate very high over 132 beats. I was told I have AFIB. I have never had any problems with my heart before surgery.

My question to the Forum, has anyone experienced this type of problem?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/19 5:21 am

I don't think I have AFib, but I get a really fast heartbeat when I eat foods I have allergies to, or foods I have intolerances to. Or if I eat too fast. Or the food I ate had too much sugar and I experienced dumping. Or when my BS drops during Hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia episode.

I am over 10 uyear post op, so I developed type of aversion to foods that I shouldn't be eating anyway. I also slow down my eating, which also helps with eating too much.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 2/8/19 7:54 am

I'm unclear about exactly what you're referring to when you say you had a revision. Did you revise to RnY? Or did you revise to an E-Rny? Or from a sleeve? Or lapband?

As far as your Afib goes though, I can't imagine any bariatric surgery that causes atrial fibrillation. Maybe it uncovered something pre-existing?

Or even more likely, it may be related to dumping syndrome as Hala pointed out. What have you been eating? Do you log your food and maybe have a record of what you were eating that day? Because that would really help us here to give a better answer.

I'm not trying to minimize your Afib. I've got heart problems myself and my Mom recently went through over two straight weeks in Afib so believe me I know it's a scary thing. Just thinking out loud here because if it was a result of dumping syndrome (and rapid heartbeat IS a symptom of dumping) you'll be able to actually control your episodes.

Have you had other episodes in the past four months?

Cris1976
on 4/27/19 7:05 am

I had AbFiber after bypass. Is terrible. I take a ablation of 2 others arritmies. The cardiologist explain: dont is correlation berween RNY and AbFiber, but take care with stimulants like coofe and others. You take medicines for Abfiber?

Most Active
Recent Topics