Bypass to sleeve to duodenal switch

Umpiregator
on 2/13/19 6:11 pm

Due to having developed hypoglycemia my surgeon wants to revise my bypass to a duodenal switch but in two separate surgeries. Will insurance approve this? Original surgery was in 2014.

hollykim
on 2/14/19 6:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 14, 2019 at 2:11 AM Pacific Time, Umpiregator wrote:

Due to having developed hypoglycemia my surgeon wants to revise my bypass to a duodenal switch but in two separate surgeries. Will insurance approve this? Original surgery was in 2014.

there is no way for us to answer your question. I suggest you call your insurance co and ask them.

MarinaGirl
on 2/14/19 1:12 pm, edited 2/14/19 5:19 am

I would double or triple check with your insurance company that they will approve additional bariatric surgeries as many will not approve more than 1, let alone 3, per lifetime.

If a surgeon is skilled enough, they should have no problem performing the full standard of care DS (2 anastomoses) in one surgery.

Note that a revision from RNY to DS is a very complex/difficult procedure and very few surgeons are capable of doing it. You need to be very selective on who you pick as your surgeon in order to minimize complications as revision surgeries are higher risk.

Where are you located? There are 2 great surgeons in California that are experienced with this revision operation; Dr. Ara Keshishian in Pasadena (LA suburb) and Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco. I recommend you contact one or both of them for a phone/video consultation.

Edit: Grammar and paragraph spacing

Umpiregator
on 2/14/19 5:53 pm, edited 2/15/19 5:41 am

I am in Florida. My original surgery was 4yrs ago. I recently had an upper GI performed, which revealed that I have a dilated Roux limb, dilated blind limb and a dilated stoma. My Dr. has submitted my case to insurance and I am just waiting on an answer. I was hoping that the hypoglycemia might help my case.

Umpiregator
on 3/1/19 5:13 pm

Good news!! Insurance has approved my surgery. I am just waiting on a surgery date from my Dr.

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 9:55 am

That's great! They approved the two-step procedure? Keep us posted!

Umpiregator
on 3/8/19 12:52 pm

Surgery date is March 29th.

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 1:39 pm

Great news! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Looking4home
on 3/9/19 4:33 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

Congrats! Keep us posted!

Most Active
Recent Topics