Endoscopic ablation of the pouch?

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/19 7:35 pm

This procedure is being recommended to me as the only endoscopic option for which I might be a good candidate to address my weight regain (approx 75 lbs). I have NEVER heard of it, and I can find no hits on it when I search the entire OH forum or any of the Facebook groups I belong to.

Anyone? I am in the process of seeking a second medical opinion, but I want patient input as well.

Radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28713063

Amy R.
on 4/26/19 8:59 am

So the link you provide describes the procedure pretty well. Is it personal experiences only that you're looking for or are you working to understand the procedure itself?

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/19 1:46 pm

Ideally, I'd like to collect some personal experiences As I said, I am seeking a second opinion medically and can pull the full text of the research paper (and plan to look into who funded the research).

I think, mechanically, I understand that the procedure is meant to induce a sort of "fibrosis" in the pouch and over a series of treatments it is supposed to shrink it somewhat. I was advised that this can theoretically lead to between 20-40 lbs of weight loss.

But, I would like to hear from individuals that have undergone it.

Amy R.
on 4/26/19 2:28 pm

Got it. I glanced at your link to see if that procedure went by any other names because there are a couple of options for RnY's who want some help but who don't want a revision. What you're doing looks completely different. But I'm not a doc so don't know.

You might consider posting this on the Main board and/or in the RnY Forum. There's more traffic over there so a better chance of finding what you're looking for. Or at least finding someone whose heard of this.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting done. =)

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/19 6:21 pm

Upon clarifying with my surgeon, I've misunderstood the surgical approach. He's proposing APC (argon plasma coagulation), not radio-frequency ablation.

I have a new question in the main forum, and I'm still seeking a second opinion.

Most Active
Recent Topics