VSG to RNY revision....questions.

Melody P.
on 5/12/19 6:11 am, edited 5/12/19 6:17 am - Amarillo, TX

I have more than a few questions!

Is the revision you had done laparoscopically or open?

I?ve read that a lot of folks stay 3 days In The hospital, how many day did you stay?

What if any tips do you have?

Thanks for reading :)

Tiff tells all
on 5/14/19 5:55 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19

Well, I have my revision VSG to RNY in 1 week. EEEEK

Mine will be laparoscopic and I'll be admitted just over 30 hrs in total.

I check in 05/21 at 11:00- surgery at 1:30. Check out no sooner than 5pm the next day 05/22. My office staff reiterated, "Don't even ask if you can go earlier. The MD is not available to sign you out till after 5pm." hahaha!

I'll be watching for others to chime in and leave tips. Like how to keep hydrated despite the nausea and pain.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

stacyrg
on 5/15/19 9:24 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had zero nausea and my pain was really well managed with meds. Hydration was not an issue. Frankly, recovery from my RNY was easier than my VSG

Amy R.
on 5/14/19 7:21 pm
On May 12, 2019 at 1:11 PM Pacific Time, Melody P. wrote:

I have more than a few questions!

Is the revision you had done laparoscopically or open?

I?ve read that a lot of folks stay 3 days In The hospital, how many day did you stay?

What if any tips do you have?

Thanks for reading :)

Where exactly are you in the revision process? Because if you've got a surgeon and are cleared for revision that surgeon would have the best answers to most of your questions.

They would be the one deciding on open or laparoscopic. And actually this particular question may not be answered until your surgeon goes in and takes a look-see. Sometimes there are situations internally that no one was aware of or could predict and the decision is made to open you up. Many revisions are open due to scar tissue from previous surgery(s).

Your length of hospital stay likely depends more than a little on whether you had open surgery or not. Some folks have a hard time post op with pain and stay an extra day, or they end up with some infection that keeps them longer. And of course there are many more reasons for a longer stay. Rest assured that it they keep you for a lengthier period it is because they want the best for you. Sending you home with problems would just be asking for trouble so they're apt to be pretty careful and there is no absolute timeline.

As far as the tips? I'd suggest posting this on RnY Forum. There are several here who've revised from the sleeve and there are several who waiting only for a surgery date to do the same thing. You'll likely get more responses over there.

Good luck, take care. And if you think of it or have a moment please let us know how you do.

Melody P.
on 5/16/19 7:36 am - Amarillo, TX

Thank you so much!

your reply has settled my nerves a bit too!

stacyrg
on 5/15/19 9:23 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi. I revised from VSG to RNY in July 2016.

my revision was done laparoscopically. In fact, my surgeon reused my incision sites, so I had no new scars.

I stayed 3 days, but that was by choice. My surgeon would have let me go home after 2, but to be honest, I was punishing my insurance company. I out of pocket was paid at that time, so the surgery costs were 100% on the company. They had refused all less invasive treatments for my GERD and left me no choice but to have a surgery I didn't want. So I figured they could pay for the additional night. I would have been fine leaving earlier. The day after surgery I was out walking the halls and they needed to send someone to find me when my surgeon showed up for my post op exam.

your request for tips is very broad. Any particular questions you have? I'm more than happy to answer literally any question you have. Ask away

Melody P.
on 5/16/19 7:34 am - Amarillo, TX

Thank you so much!

i realize now it was broad so thanks :)

i guess i'm Just nervous about it. I honestly don't really know what to ask! I have anxiety issues so I guess it was general reassurance I was hoping for. Ya'll's replies have done that!

really working on dealing with it in a healthy way.

Most Active
Recent Topics