Approaching the End 6months-- still NO clue on surgery

2ndTimeFreedom
on 5/26/19 7:41 pm
Revision on 07/18/19

Hello Everyone -

I am nearing the end of my six months supervised "diet" visits, and still, I am unsure what surgery I will be having. I am a gastric bypass patient (November 2009) who started at 398 pounds. My lowest weight was 198 lbs. I leveled off at 213-220 for eight years, and then I got pregnant in 2016. One beautiful little girl, later I rested at 298 when I delivered and still find myself there. I lost my way. I have joined a gym recently, so that is helping me to restart this journey.

SO here is the deal-- My doctor said United HealthCare considers Bap over Bypass experimental and will not cover the surgery. Then when I completed the Endoscopy, that physician said my pouch hadn't stretched enough for him to think I would be a candidate for an extensive revision. So far, I have completed every single requirement: Psych, Nutrition, Cardiology, Sleep Study, Labs, and Respiratory Clearance. I have my final pre-surgery visit with my physician in three weeks. I am praying for surgery in July but wonder what other RNY Revision individuals are doing? Anyone else close to their surgery dates? I am just really praying I can finally get back to somehow feeling like me again.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/19 11:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your pouch hasn't stretched out, it sounds like you should still have restriction. What makes you think you need a second surgery?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

2ndTimeFreedom
on 5/29/19 12:07 pm
Revision on 07/18/19

Hello, Thank you so much for commenting!!! His (endoscopy physician) exact words were that he didn't think I stretched enough for the more invasive pouch reduction but that it stretched enough for the Lap-Band over Bypass. I think the weight gain and the fact that I can eat way more than I had in years previous led me to believe that I had extended my pouch. It looks like I have (enough) to gain excess weight of nearly 100 pounds. I noticed the weight when I was pregnant and now being two years post pregnancy I realize I need help. However, the clinician in me (advanced practice registered nurse) has concerns with the lap band over bypass. So I am researching the clinical data and outcomes. I am also investigating the Rose procedure. Have you had a revisional surgery performed? If so what was your outcome and how was your recovery?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/19 12:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I would also be very leery of the band. Some hospitals do not even perform that surgery any more because the number of complications are so high!

Most people are able to eat a greater volume of food if they allow carbs into their diet; you can eat a lot more noodles than you can dense protein. So a lot of people (myself included) end up gaining weight because they stray from the protein-forward diet we stick to right after surgery.

I'm in the process of getting a revision from sleeve to RNY due to acid. I love my sleeve and it works well-- I've already lost 10lb of my regain by going back to basics and logging my food-- but the risk of Barrett's esphopagus is high enough that I need to switch to a bypass.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

2ndTimeFreedom
on 6/24/19 5:04 pm, edited 6/24/19 10:05 am
Revision on 07/18/19

So here is my update. Looks like my pouch and stoma did indeed stretch after my pregnancy :(. My insurance has accepted everything and my schedule is set for July 15. I have stared my pre-surgical pre-liquid diet at 3 weeks out. The procedure will be a reduction in my Stoma and pouch. I am excited and so ready.

Most Active
Recent Topics