2 surgery Lap band revision?

Bricami2
on 6/26/19 4:24 pm
VSG on 07/25/19

Hello Everyone,

So I was banded in 2007. I had my band removed June 6, 2019. My band had erosion in my liver not my stomach. I had an over night stay in the hospital. Now my insurance will not Pay I repeat for my sleeve but due to my acid reflex it did pay for the removal and things that revolve around that surgery including the hospital stay. My sleeve date is July 25, 2019. Some doctors would do both surgeries the same day. However since I've had mind done in 2007 and she had no idea what it will look like inside we both decided to wait 6 weeks for the next which is 7 weeks. I'm excited to get the sleeve. I started at 303lbs banded date got down to 186 size 12 and wanted to lose 20 more. I fell like a idiot now. I'm back at 270 and paying for the sleeve. $15000. Taking a huge hit out of saving and a credit card. However I need this to get back in control. So i had to have a small piece of my liver removed because of the erosion. My doctor I'm sure has removed all scar tissue and when she's in their this time hopefully it's like a nice newly made canvas. They are removing 80% of your stomach so the healing for that long is puzzling considering they are removing most of that anyway. My doctor has done a lot or revisions and she's amazing caring, fun but firm. I hope this help.

Tx2Nc
on 6/28/19 7:55 am

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! It's so frustrating that even today insurance companies deny revision on a regular basis. Even with proven complications.

Bricami2
on 7/8/19 5:31 pm
VSG on 07/25/19

Yes it sucks! However I've paid my 15K so now my surgery is in site and is moved to July 29th. Im excited and can't wait to start my new life

Tx2Nc
on 7/9/19 7:36 am

Oh that's so exciting, congrats!! I had my follow up with my surgeon last Tuesday. Since they are going to approach the insurance company from a general surgery due to band complications standpoint, I don't have any extra appointments that I will need to do(nutritionist, psych, etc.) Just get approved by the insurance. He said he was going to have his coordinator send in the paperwork to my insurance company and see how it goes. So now I wait. I imagine with last week having a holiday, that the insurance has only had it for about 3 days, but waiting to hear something is the worst! Good luck on the 29th. Keep us posted.

Bricami2
on 7/9/19 9:16 am
VSG on 07/25/19

It's crazy my insurance paid for the removal but not the sleeve. Do you have the band now? I'm so happy we broke this up in two surgeries. The complications removing a small part of my liver was not in the plans at all.

tananarose
on 7/10/19 1:22 pm - North Pole, AK

I had my band removed Dec 2017 and the tubing of mine was in my liver as well. I don't remember being told about that in my consult, but that was in 2008. I am trying to get a revision to bypass, my surgeon wanted me to wait at least 3-6 months before considering my for a revision. He wanted the time for my liver to heal completely.

Tx2Nc
on 7/12/19 11:18 am

Yes, I have my band still. It hasn't had any fluid in it since 2015 though. My surgeon is fairly confident that he'll be able to do both surgeries at one time. The idea of two bouts under anesthesia, two hospital stays and two recoveries was the reason I sought out a second opinion, but I think my surgeon is fairly unique in this approach. In his experience, it's also a bit safer from an insurance perspective to get the revision approved at the same time as the revision. As he put it, 100% of insurances will pay to have a band removed, but then you're back to square one, with potentially no revision in your future. I'm also on a very tight timeline. I have to have everything done no later than 12/31 or I can't have it done at all, due to finances and I'll just be stuck with chronic GERD and gastritis. I was hoping to hear back this week, but no such luck. Fingers crossed for next week:)

Most Active
Recent Topics