Revison after gastric bypass due to weight gaine

beelzebubbles
on 8/13/19 7:43 am - Lansdowne, PA

I see that you have been post op for a month. How did you do this month?

What was your weightloss like and how do you feel?

White Dove
on 8/12/19 10:04 am - Warren, OH

The truth about the surgery is that you have to be on a diet for the rest of your life. If I fall into eating the wrong types and amounts of food, then I gain weight again. When I go back to my diet, I lose it again.

After surgery, you will do the best if you never eat sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, corn, or cereal. The diet is meat, eggs, fish poultry, vegetables, and limited fruits. You can also have full fat butter, cheese, and yogurt.

It is the same thing I did before surgery. The only difference is that after surgery, the diet actually works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Stapler
on 8/12/19 4:20 pm

I don't usually reply to postings, but this one really caught my eye.

I feel that the community has not given this person the benefit of the doubt and just assumed that he/she went back to old habits to gain the weight.

I had a VBGB in 1998 and lost roughly 150 pounds. Naturally, I became more active and began participating in life and taking care of my yard, etc.

When I was doing yard work, I sometimes felt a pull or a snap-like feeling in my belly but it didn't hurt and I didn't pay it much mind.

I noticed that it was starting to take more food to satisfy me but wasn't too worried until I stepped on the scale and saw that I had gained about 30 pounds back!

Little did I know I was actually pulling out the staples that had held my pouch together and that was why I had a bigger appetite.

Tests were done and it was confirmed that my staples had, indeed, been pulled out and that I was left with a stretched out stomach with a bypass.

Thankfully I had a good surgeon that knew his way around insurance companies and I was able to obtain approval for a second VBGB due to surgery failure.

I'm happy to report that I had the second procedure done in 2005 and today I weigh 143 pounds. That is 172 pounds lost and maintained in a total of 21 years.

I do not diet. I eat whatever I want. The key (for me), is EXERCISE! I am active at least five days a week. By active I don't mean taking a walk... I mean work... I mow 2 large lawns with a push mower, I shovel my own snow in the winter, I do things the old-fashioned way by using my body to get things done instead of using machinery, etc.

Unfortunately, my doctor retired so I cannot help you with his name, etc.

I wish you well and hope that by now you have found what you need to continue on your path to a thinner, healthier lifestyle.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/19 6:25 am

I am replying to you late. Over a month after you comments.

But - if you go back to the top of the post - you would see that the first 2 posters are asking the OP if there is anything wrong with the original surgery. Because that would definitely explain needs for a revision.

Another issue - like metabolic change, hormonal change - may also benefit from a revision.

For someone who had RNY - revision to DS is s very complicated and can be extremely risky. Because of that, only a very few doctors in US are really good to perform it. We have heard horror stories about people revised from an RNY to DS, by a well meaning surgeon, but one that had no experience nor the real skills to do it correctly.

Even DS - unless person follow proper diet post op - regain is possible, as well as severe nutritional deficiencies that can lead to severe health issues, including disability or death.

Someone with DS needs to be sure they have the know how and financial means to make sure they can follow proper life after DS. High proteins, good fats, and limited carbs. And a very detailed lab work at least once a year. Lab work that some doctors or insurance do not want to order - pay for. Even with RNY - unless a person can make sure they can afford life post op - the long term life and maintenance post op can be challenging.

As for exercise - it is not necessary to lose or maintain. Activity is recommended, but that can help quality of life.

Even if I would want to - I can't do a lot of physically strenuous work or exercise. At my age, beside issues with my back, spine, I also have arthritis, and I can and should stay active, but not physically strenuous. Walking, hiking ,swimming (unfortunately I don't tolerate chlorine in most commercial pools), yoga, etc. - these activities I can do without too much problems. But weight lifting, any heavy lifting, pushing, oren yard work is not recommended for me considering condition of my back and joints.

I still can lose and maintain weight loss by eating properly for me. After so many years post op, asking as I don't eat too many carbs, I still have a very good restriction. Some days so good - that I still need to make sure I supplement my food with an extra proteins. (Eggs, meat, or - even a protein shake)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

beelzebubbles
on 8/13/19 7:34 am - Lansdowne, PA

Thank you all for your responses.

I have lost around 15 lbs on my own. But it is very slow going. It is approximately 1 lb a month..

I am loathe to change my eating patterns too radically because that tends to set me off to binging and other

and purging. Dieting causes me to overeat. So minor modifications are all I can do.

I am looking at the change to the DS from Gastric bypass but my insurance may not allow it.

My pouch has a very large opening into my intestines and I can eat a lot but I try not to.

The gain was due to my being out of my comfort zone. I moved in with my mother to care for her for and she had food in her house. Bread and cookies etc.. I do not keep food in my house unless I have control over it. My doctor also took me off of a medication that inhibits compulsive behavior. I have since moved back into my own home and gone back on my medication helping me to lose some of the weight.

I would like to get down to 200 lbs again.

I have looked into a lot of kinds of revision and the switch to DS seems to be the best.

Has anyone else had it or no if it even works?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/13/19 9:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

RNY to DS is a very complicated procedure, and there are only a few surgeons in the country who do it if I recall. It's a relatively dangerous operation.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/19 6:36 am

You can ask that question on the DS forum. But as it was mentioned, RNY to DS is a very complicated surgery and there are only a very few doctors who can do it and do it properly.

There should be a bunch of people on the DS forum *****vised from RNY to DS and are happy about that. Check it out.

BTW- I also have issues with some foods if they are easily available in the house. One of the major is bread, even though I know I should stay away from it, if not because I don't want to gain weight, but because I have intolerances to gluten and grains in general.

Having a partner who likes and can eat bread, could be challenging if he did not care about me and my health. But because he does, we don't have fresh bread at home very often, but we do have sometimes and then we keep it out of my sight. We also have frozen bread that he or I can bake for him in less than 10 min.

Good luck. Remember - even 1 lbs a month is a loss not a gain. Small steps.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

beelzebubbles
on 9/18/19 8:33 am - Lansdowne, PA

Thanks for the response. You have given me a lot to consider. The doctor I'm seeing is recommending SADI which is a simpler surgery.

I have joined NOOM which helps with psychological issues around eating to some extent and Jenny Craig till I get my head on straight about eating

With any luck I ll lose the weight myself and the likelihood that I get turned down for insurance is great

I'm just throwing everything I have at this problem

Most Active
Recent Topics