RNY Revision Question/Concerns

FeFi
on 6/9/19 1:50 pm - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

I'm having a laparoscopic revision of the gastrojejunostomy with lengthening the intestine from 5 feet to 15 feet.

Just curious if this is ok and if anyone share there progress if you had this procedure done.

My concern is lengthening the intestinal to 15 feet and what side affects this could present.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/10/19 8:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you don't know if this is "OK," you need to have a conversation with your surgeon ASAP, or get a second opinion.

They should be able to talk to you about potential side effects as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rocky513
on 6/10/19 3:42 pm - WI

The procedure you are describing is a Distal RNY. There are lots of studies about this revision online.

You may lose weight with this revision, but many people have issues with chronic diarrhea and vitamin deficiency from malabsorption.

If you go through with this surgery you will need to be hyper-vigilant with taking your vitamins and having frequent blood work.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

FeFi
on 6/10/19 4:35 pm - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Thank you very much for your feedback this is what I was looking for!

I've elected not to move forward until I research a little bit more.

Again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

Felecia

JJT
on 6/20/19 4:50 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

I have had a distal RNY revision. I've not had any problems or side effects. In fact having the revision my dumping went away. I think that is an individual thing and a fluke. I have never had diarrhea, gerds or stomach issues. I am very diligent with my vitamins. I do have a tendency to be more iron deficient. Not sure if that is the surgery or me. I take an iron capsule. I also take B12 injections twice a month. The standard vitamin regiment my surgeon requires. I will be out two years in September. While revisions overall has a poor rate of weight loss I have lost over two hundred pounds since surgery. You do have a greater malabsorbtion which will require diligence with your vitamins. I had a surgery in January for hernias and to remove the panny. I really struggled healing with the drain sites getting infected. The surgeon that did that surgery said it was due to the malabsorption and nutritional aspects. So beware if you have surgery eat well and keep ahead of any possible infections.

FeFi
on 6/21/19 6:02 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with me.

I had the Lapband in June 2009 with a revision in April 2014 to Gastric RNY. I did great up until my accident and was placed on steroids for my injuries that I sustained. With that said, I was down from 270 to 154 and now I'm back up to 222.

My insurance covers the revision, but I was not comfortable moving forward and not knowing ALL the potential side effects. Currently I'm on a iron pill daily. I just met with my hematologist and she said that she could work around most vitamin deficiencies but wanted me to make sure this is what I wanted to do.

My surgeon said that the side effects of the surgery could be dumping especially if I ate fried food and perhaps side effects a malabsorption by being vitamin deficient.

JJT
on 6/21/19 6:11 am
Revision on 09/14/17

Dumping while a side effect is a blessing. It keeps you away from fried foods and sugar. So I personally see that as a win with the RNY. Wish I would dump harder but I have to bake the right choices without that aid. Malabsorption comes with all RNY surgeries. With distal it's just greater that includes calories. Which is why it's used to aid greater weight lose. It's a personal choice but it's not much different then the RNY. Makes sure your surgeon is going to reduce the stomach and tighten the stoma. It all needs to be adjusted back to original.

Most Active
Recent Topics