VSG to RNY to Resolve GERD | Dr. Stanley Klein (Torrance, CA)

mljchm
on 6/15/19 10:11 pm, edited 6/20/19 3:31 am - CA
Revision on 05/05/19

I was sleeved almost 7 years ago. I am currently being considered for revision to the RNY due to: (1) severe GERD, (2) complete weight regain + malabsorption/malnutrition, and (3) having an hourglass shaped (abnormal) sleeve + a dilated esophagus.

I see many of you here have revised. My questions are:
1. Why the switch? If GERD, are you now GERD free?
2. What has your RNY weight loss experience been like vs. VSG?
I do understand and believe that behavior modification is the key!
3. Was your surgeon Dr. Stanley Klein? Searching his name on this forum didn't bring up anything. I did read all his great reviews on here, but if he did your revision, I'd love to hear from you!

Thank you for any help you can offer! :)

rocky513
on 6/17/19 4:12 am - WI

In 2010 I had a revision from VBG to RNY to resolve a multitude of issues, including GERD. I woke up from surgery GERD free after suffering with it for 25 years. RNY cured a lot of my problems. I was warned that the GERD could return if I allowed myself to gain significant weight.

I had the surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Dr Sarr was my surgeon.

I lost weight with my revision and got down to 142 pounds. I was VERY compliant with the rules, ate only what I was told to, and measured everything that went into my mouth for 8 years. Last year I got a little diet fatigued and stopped measuring. I'm currently working on getting a 20 pound regain off. It was a good reminder of just how skewed I am at eyeballing portion sized. I was still eating healthy, but gained weight.

Vigilance is the key to success.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mljchm
on 6/17/19 11:02 pm, edited 6/19/19 8:30 pm - CA
Revision on 05/05/19

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! How is a VBG different from a VSG? I'm sorry I'm not familiar...

My heart leaps with excitement every time I read of an experience like yours, where GERD is simply gone after years of suffering. I have multiple health problems right now that all stemmed from malabsorption/malnutrition and I'm really hoping this new start is what I need to be GERD-free and restore my health.

I agree with you! Behavioral modification is the key... I just came home from my first session of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and it was incredible! We talked about the purpose behind certain unwanted behaviors as all behavior is developed to serve a purpose, being ready, willing and able, thought mapping (finding the origin/pattern of thought that ultimately contributes to certain unwanted behaviors), and replacing one behavior with another that's as equally rewarding, if not more.

rocky513
on 6/18/19 4:04 am - WI

VBG (Vertcal Banded Gastroplasty) is an old weight loss surgery that has been so bad with complications that they no longer perform it. It is basically a stapled sleeve but they punch a hole through the top of the stomach and place a band, similar to lap band surgery.

Therapy will help you so much. I'm glad you like it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

stacyrg
on 6/17/19 9:24 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY in July 2016 due to GERD. The revision did NOT cure my GERD, but it is now manageable with medication.

I was basically at goal when I revised, so didn't have much loss post revision. I've had some gain, but attribute it to dealing with hypoglycemia that resulted from my revision, about 12 lbs. I'm now eating basically zero carbs which i'm hoping will help both the hypoglycemia and the regain.

I had all my surgeries at Cedears Sinai in Los Angeles. My surgeon is Dr. Miguel Burch.

mljchm
on 6/20/19 3:07 am, edited 6/19/19 8:32 pm - CA
Revision on 05/05/19

Thank you so much for sharing! It's important to consider all possibilities. Just wondering, was GERD developed after the sleeve or did you have it pre-op? So glad to hear it's more manageable now with medication!!

I'm sure you will get to your goal weight. You've gone through so much! Warrior spirit!

I also live in Los Angeles. I was sleeved by Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Mexico. For my revision, I will be working with Dr. Stanley Klein, South Bay Surgeons (Harbor UCLA Medical Center). Would love to connect with you ? I work in DTLA, on BariatricPal as: freetobeme

Your story is so inspiring to me. I wish you all the best on your journey!

stacyrg
on 6/20/19 7:03 am
VSG on 05/12/14

My GERD developed after my VSG. I didn't have any problems with heartburn prior to my surgery. Thanks for your message. Hope things work out well!

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/19 2:18 pm

I'm a revision from Lap Band to VSG and, after the repair of my hiatal hernia, my GERD, while still present, is better. The cause of my GERD is a damaged esophageal sphincter caused by improper eating with my hand over 14 years. It's pretty common.

If your lower esophagus is stretched from overeating with your sleeve, then GERD might not be fixed with RNY. I had several studies (manometry, EGD, EGD Bravo, contrast study) to understand why I have GERD. That informed what surgery I would revise to after my band was removed.

There are procedures to address the esophagus stretching like a nissan fundoplication. You may have a hiatal hernia as well.

Good luck.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/24/19 4:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

As I understand it, you can't have a fundoplication after VSG because there's not enough stomach to wrap around the esophagus.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mljchm
on 6/24/19 9:05 pm - CA
Revision on 05/05/19

You are perfectly correct, my dear... and I have considered everything under the sun, including the LINX procedure at USC -- not applicable for my case as a VSG patient, either.

Most Active
Recent Topics