Re-sleeve or Bypass for revision?

ang5793
on 6/17/19 1:58 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Hi Everyone,

I had the sleeve surgery in July of 2016, I lost only 65 pounds and have gained back 20. I never felt the restriction that people talk about, I might not have made the greatest food choices but I by no means was gluttont. I am looking to be re sleeved but my doctor is talking me into the bypass for revision. Has anyone been re sleeved? How did it go?

I have heard with the bypass you must always be near a bathroom and you have constant accidents. With three children I can't be worried about finding the nearest bathroom. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/19 8:43 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've never heard of RNY causing bathroom trouble. Many people report this being an issue with the DS, but not RNY.

When you say you haven't had restriction, are you eating lean, dense protein? You will not feel restriction with your sleeve when you eat carbs as they will pass right through your stomach.

A second surgery will not prevent you from making poor food choices. Whether you re-sleeve or convert to RNY, you will only lose weight if you eat appropriately.

Your first step should be to have imaging done to assess the state of your sleeve, to see if it was perhaps made too big or if it was stretched out. Then you can make a decision about surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mljchm
on 6/20/19 3:20 am, edited 6/19/19 8:23 pm - CA
Revision on 05/05/19

On June 18, 2019 at 3:43 AM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag wrote:

A second surgery will not prevent you from making poor food choices. Whether you re-sleeve or convert to RNY, you will only lose weight if you eat appropriately.

Couldn't agree more!

Your first step should be to have imaging done to assess the state of your sleeve, to see if it was perhaps made too big or if it was stretched out. Then you can make a decision about surgery.

This is very important! Ask your doctor for a barium contrast or CT (or both) to assess where your sleeve is at. These tests will look at the shape and the capacity of your sleeve. I had several in 7 years and my sleeve, due to improper technique, is an hourglass shape. I believe this insight has helped me make a well informed decision regarding revision, not to mention, having GERD and a plethora of other conditions due to malabsorption/malnutrition.

White Dove
on 6/18/19 8:59 am - Warren, OH

The sleeve does not change your intestines. RNY does.

For some people RNY triggers lactose intolerance. You can manage that with avoiding diary and with lactose products. Eating sugar or carbs can cause diarrhea after RNY. Your postop diet should be dense protein with a few non-starchy vegetables. That will often result in constipation problems.

That is why many of us take a daily doses of fiber or laxatives.

The unpleasant bathroom changes can be avoided by making the proper food choices after surgery. It can mean no refined sugars, avoiding dairy and fat, and no fried foods.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 6/18/19 10:55 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I haven't had diarrhea at all since I had RNY four years ago (but then, I'm not lactose intolerant, nor do I dump - which can cause it for some people if they eat the wrong things). The only "bathroom issue" I've had is constipation. CONSTANT constipation. I have to take Miralax every day to manage it. I would say diarrhea is not common with RNY....constipation is FAR more common. If you dump or if you're lactose intolerant (and many of us are neither), then you can manage diarrhea by avoiding sugar (if you dump) or dairy products (if you're lactose intolerant). Easy peasy.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/19 11:01 am

I had RNY in 2008. I do have "bathroom problems" but only if I eat too many carbs or sweets, (AKA Dumping).Other than that, my only bathroom problems that are constant is constipation. I had to work hard to be able to have BM. A lot of people with RNY have issues with that, when we follow proper diet as proteins with some fat and a few carbs, Some take extra fiber, others more fats, and some like me - need miralax to make sure things really "move".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics