From Gastric Bypass to GBR

jyelitza
on 7/4/19 6:46 pm
Revision on 07/01/19

Hello all, I had surgery 05 and began gaining weight in 2016 after having chronic anemia along other health that came with surgery.

On July 1, had a revision done Miami Florida by Eddie Gomez in Jackson Memorial Hospital South. He is great I have no complaints. So far it's been 4 post opt and it's a little challenging psychologically you can only consume 2oz of liquid every other hour. I feel my new stomach could hold more and I've drank more, I quickly stop myself.

I was just wondering has anyone else done the sleeve recently and how has their journey going so far. How are you guys eating and how is the weight loss and psychologically thinking just some insight from others.

I appreciate each and everyone's feedback can't wait to hear stories???????

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/19 4:40 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What is GBR? That's a new one.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jyelitza
on 7/6/19 6:25 pm, edited 7/6/19 11:26 am
Revision on 07/01/19

Hello, hope all is well, GBR is a Gastric Bypass Revision, a revision to my for bypass.

mgsisco
on 8/5/19 12:54 pm
RNY on 06/06/19

How dis it help you with the chronic anemia?

White Dove
on 7/6/19 9:04 pm - Warren, OH

The liquid restriction makes no sense to me. Are you sure that is what you were told? 24 ounces of water a day would leave the rest of us severely dehydrated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jyelitza
on 7/7/19 3:59 pm
Revision on 07/01/19

Yes Ma'am it sure is, it's between 24-64ounces / per day. Also depends on the person and how much they can intake. I can drink a bit more then 2 oz. I'm trying to stick to the regimens, my taste buds has change once again don't like the broths or pudding. I can't wait for this phase to be over. I can have regular purée foods.

Laura in Texas
on 7/7/19 7:12 am

Anemia is very common after gastric bypass. Many of us have to get iron infusions on a regular basis.

What exactly did your surgeon do? Stoma reduction? Reduce your pouch size? Distal?

"Gastric bypass revision" is a very generic term.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jyelitza
on 7/7/19 12:05 pm
Revision on 07/01/19

Hi ya'll! Happy Sunday Funday ?

I've been trying to write back for the past couple hours, and of course the interruptions they can never fail has me stalling. I apologize for the delay.

SoOo my original pouch stretched out forming another stomach. It looked similar to the pouch of a sleeve patient. It formed along the side of my smaller stomach. Three stomachs all in one belly ? The doctor went in and removed the expansion of the original revision, along with a hernia. I only did a general gastric bypass revision and removal of a hernia.

Being anemic, in 2016 I had to under go 4 treatments back to back of Iron Infusion in where my body had a anaphylactic reaction to the last two treatments. It was a horrible experience a scary one at that, I am no longer going to receive iron treatments per my doctor. We all know that taking ferrous sulfate will help but not help me feel to normal again. As far as vitality, energy, mental clarity mood.

I agree 24 ounces 3 cups of liquid a day is extremely small it's been a bit of a struggle for me because I feel I can intake more in one serving. I do sometimes and I don't want to but it's more satisfying at least for me. It does not hurt nor give me any discomfort. I do between 2-4 oz every other hour. I will say it's been a bit of a challenge but I am doing it.

Laura in Texas
on 7/7/19 11:02 am

Looking at your surgeon's website, he does the following revisions. I assume it was one of these:

• StomaphyX Procedure
  • ROSE
  • Endoscopic suturing
  • Overstitch
  • POSE surgery

The stoma reducing surgeries do not have the best results. I hope you are seeing a nutritionist and possibly a therapist to help you learn and stick to healthier eating habits long term. Surgery is not magic.

Good luck!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jyelitza
on 7/7/19 12:47 pm
Revision on 07/01/19

Thank you Lauren from Texas! for taking your time to research my doctor and what surgeries they perform at Jackson South Health. I'm sure the information will be helpful to many of those looking for a great bariatric surgery center in sunny side Florida. However, I didn't have to do any of those because it was not the case for me. I am very much aware of how this surgery goes and what it entitles. Unfortunately, in 2005 when I had my surgery there was not yet a lot of information or research on the long lasting effects of bariatric surgery. Prior to 2016 I never had complications. I will say anybody who thinks that this surgery is magic, will have a rude awakening. It's been one of the most challenging and hardest things I've ever done in my life. I'm blessed to have thr chance to do this journey once again. It will tough but I'm up for the challenge in the end for me it's more about my state of being, meaning inner health.

Thanks for your insight ma'am!

Most Active
Recent Topics