Revision to Distal from Proximal bypass

jenjenviola
on 8/22/19 6:11 pm - Washington, DC

Hello.my surgeon..DR. Salameh in Virginia is saying that a revision to a DS is too complicated because I got my original bypass 20 years ago and they did the staples differently..and that he would revise to a distal bypass..it seems many people on this site say it is not good to do this..but my surgeon says many people have sucess and the side effects are similar to DS. Has anyone had a GOOD experience with the Distal revision? Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/19 10:57 pm

Yes my ex husband did and does continue to have restriction and malabsorption from this surgery 14 ? YRS post op though he moves very little eats restaurant food n commercial cookies n 900 calorie starbux coffees w heavy cream like 5 times a day lol. And he's a diabetic and quite healthy considering ....

Ladytazz
on 8/27/19 12:55 am

There are few surgeons who are competent in RNY to DS revisions and I have never heard of your surgeon. It is a very complicated surgery but it can be done. You might post on the DS board and get the list of vetted RNY to DS revision surgeons. Dr. Ara Keshishian in California is supposed to be the best. Perhaps you can contact his office and get a second opinion.

I would not settle for second best since you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. Many people travel to California to have their revision done by Dr. K. Don't give up and don't settle for a surgery that might not work out for you.

Best of luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amy R.
on 8/28/19 9:57 am

I would not settle for second best since you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. Many people travel to California to have their revision done by Dr. K. Don't give up and don't settle for a surgery that might not work out for you.

What Tazz says up there. Please be careful Personally I hope you can figure out a way to deal with everything without going back to the OR. But I don't know you or your situation. Rely on your own best judgement and a gut test (what is your body telling you about proceeding with this?).

Good luck. Be safe. Most of all don't be in a hurry unless you've a medical reason to be. And take care of yourself most of all.

beelzebubbles
on 9/16/19 3:46 am - Lansdowne, PA

Hi Jen,

I am in your position. My surgeon has suggested SIPS/SADI. This is a kind of modified DS.

I'm afraid there aren't that many people out there who have news for us from the revision front.

I have been to several surgeons, all with their own take on what to do.

I have been reading as much information as I can.

I personally am trying to lose as much weight as I can by December, which is when my projected surgery is.

I don't know if my insurance will cover it.

I am using Noom and Jenny Craig to try to lose weight.

I wish you luck!

JJT
on 2/12/20 5:43 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

I revised to a distal RNY. As of today start to now this includes presurgery dieting the surgery and skin removal surgery I have lost 390 pounds. I eat fine, take more vitamins which is part of it and I exercise. This revision can work and does work if you work it.

Most Active
Recent Topics