Pre op jitters and maybe a little panic

courtnado
on 8/25/19 5:56 pm

Probably not a good idea but I have spent the day before my revision surgery watching YouTube videos of other VBG to RNY revisions and the word I keep hearing is "complex".

Ugh. My VBG is 35 years old and I can't imagine the scar tissue that must be in there. The band has to be removed under all of that scar tissue and there is a hiatal hernia to deal with. I am 53 years old and not the picture of sterling health. I doubt I will sleep tonight and have fleeting thoughts of don't do it!

My doctor is extremely reputable and specializes in revisions. He looks like he is in his 20s, which is not comforting, but he assures me that he is not much younger than me. I asked him about the complexity and his response was "oh yeah, it will be a pain in the ass, but I've done a lot of revisions."

Ultimately, his confidence is what gives me the courage to go through with this. Whenever I am on an airplane with a lot of turbulence, I look at the flight attendants. If they are gossiping about their weekend or yawning, I know everything is okay. My doc is yawning so this is good. Plus, he only reserved the OR for 2 hours. I take this as another good sign.

I will show up tomorrow, board the plane and let the pilot fly it. But if anyone feels like sending a prayer up for me, that would be good too.

I will see you guys on the other side!

Courtney

Ladytazz
on 8/27/19 12:35 am

How did the surgery go? Revisions are usually more complex but with an experienced surgeon I am sure you will be fine.

I had a revision 9 years ago and fortunately it solved all the issues I had been having. I am sure yours will be successful as well.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Blacklady
on 10/14/19 9:50 am
VSG on 04/11/16

Can you give me some more insight on the rny. I am scheduled for one my revision on November 15 and I am very scared

Amy R.
on 8/28/19 9:36 am

I see your surgeon decided to err on the side of caution and has asked you to wait a bit and lose a bit more weight. While it's too bad he let you get all the way into pre-op before he figured it out, I was glad to see this. He's looking out for you and you can't put a price on that.

You'll likely feel better about everything yourself by the time they actually roll you in to the OR. Never hurts to be down 10 pounds if you're overweight and it sounds like he needs your stomach to be super empty. You might consider going clear liquids only for the five or seven days before you're next scheduled, even if it's not required. Give him the best operating conditions possible. It can only help.

Good luck to you; try to keep up that good attitude. The time will go much faster if you can think of this as a 100% positive. And it is. He very well may have saved your life.

Most Active
Recent Topics