RNY revision in Tulsa, Ok

Allenle
on 9/15/19 9:48 am

Does anyone know of a surgeon that does revisions in Tulsa?

I have regained 60 pounds of the weight I lost from my gastric bypass 10 years ago, and I feel it.

The reflux and heartburn is horrible - I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. My PCP has started me on medication for reflux after my visit to ER and subsequent admission to hospital for chest pain and etc. Stress test ruled out cardiac issues.

I'm having severe back and bilateral knee pain again, which I hadn't had for 6-7 years following my weightloss surgery and weight loss. I'm scheduled for a MRI of knee this week. Before the first weightloss surgery my orthopedic surgeon recommended bilateral knee replacements or weight loss. I opted for weightloss surgery because I was only 39 yrs old at the time, and a knee replacement at that age would have only meant others down the line.

I'm only 49 years old and still feel I'm still too young for knee replacement, in the event the MRI shows anything. I need to lose the 60 pounds I've regained....HELP!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/19 7:49 am, edited 9/16/19 11:08 pm

I am not sure what they can revise you to, considering you have GERD.

Do you have hiatal hernia? Do they know why do you have such a horrible GERD?

Acid production and GERD can be due to mechanical issues - like hernia, failed valve, or too much abdominal fat pushing the acid and contents from the pouch up to your esophagus.

Or it can be due to allergies to foods, drinks or medication.

I had RNY and a few years ago I started dealing wit a severe GERD. EGD testing showed I already have a small amount of Barrett Esophagus (precancerous cells in my esophagus). In my case - I don't have mechanical issues - no hernia, valve is working fine, no abdominal fat. In my case - it is due to food allergies, plus allergies to some fillers used in medication.

I was tested and diagnosed with foods allergies and sensitivities: dairy, soy, etc. On top of that I have intolerances to gluten, and grains in general. Plus alcohol.

Because I also have IBS due to SIBO - most likely any high FODMAP foods can cause inflammation and excesive acid production - irritation to my small intestine, pouch and Esophagus. Last few years I have been on Rx Dexilant. That is the only PPI that helps with the GERD. This whole year I have been working to limit how much Dexilant I take. I am down to 30 mg on most days. Some days, weeks, I still need 60 mg.

I also take occasional zantac, and Tums.

Finding out what is causing GERD should be a primery goal for you and your doctors. If it is a mechanical failure - fix it if possible.

Unfortunately people get RNY to fix their GERD. I don't know what anything else can be done. S

Some people discovered that their GERD was in reality not acid reflux, but liver bile backing up all the way to pouch and Esophagus. People like that could benefit in making the bypassed part of intestine longer, crating almost like distal RNY.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/17/19 7:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Is there anything mechanically wrong with your pouch? Or have you fallen off track with your eating and exercise habits?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MarinaGirl
on 10/6/19 7:16 am

Initially after gastric bypass my GERD resolved but then it came back even though I was at a normal BMI; I also developed Barrett's Esophagus. So last summer (July 2018) I had hiatal hernia repair and Nissen Fundoplication surgery and I am doing great - no PPIs required anymore.

Most Active
Recent Topics