Very bummed...advise needed...

michele035
on 9/20/19 7:31 am - PA

Hi everyone

I am an RNY to DS. I was self financed. I have only lost 36 lbs total. And 30 of it was in the first 5 weeks. I haven't lost a single solitary pound since then. Nothing. Yes, lost some inches. But nothing else. I have uppped my protein, downed my protein, upped my carbs, downed my carbs. Upped my exercise, downed my exercise. Nothing. Today Doc pretty much is confounded as to why I haven't lost. Said maybe eat less. OK I am under 1000 calories and see the nutritionist. They may help. I asked about my loss expectation and he said maybe high 100's low 200's. Huh? I started at 269. That is it? Yeah, probably that is all you can expect at this point. Oh btw, my common channel (I can't remember the length he said, maybe 100?) which I did ask about. He said he made it "very aggressive" so he doesn't understand the lack of malabsorption. One bowel movement a day is a puzzle to him but no advice on how to change it? More fat, less fat? good fat? Nada. He is a very good surgeon and very reputable but I think he has never seen something like this. I am very upset and feel like I spent over 20k to lose about 70 lbs. I guess maybe I went into this with the wrong expecations. Maybe that is all I can hope for.

sorry for the long post. Just trying to see if there are any other revision folks out there with any similar stories. Thank GOODNESS for this site. I swear the folks here are more helpful than my NUT and doc at this point!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/19 12:40 pm

You may post that question on DS forum. They may be best to help you.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

michele035
on 9/20/19 12:45 pm - PA

thanks! good idea.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/20/19 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Revision patients tend to lose more slowly than folks having their first surgeries, and lose less weight overall.

Also, if you are losing inches, you are still making progress.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 9/22/19 9:48 pm - Warren, OH

With DS you malabsorb fat, but absorb every carb you eat. Many revision patients end up with a 20 pound loss, so 39 sounds good. You may have to cut carbs if you are not losing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics