Scared...vsg to rny

kam0520
on 10/6/19 6:48 am - AL

Hi...

I'm just going to lay it all out there because I don't know what else to do....

My husband and I both had VSG on 1/30/2012, I was at 549.8lbs. I lost down to right about 390 and hit a plateau, I got frustrated and started making poor food choices (mistake #1)and even gained up to 425 at one point. My husband had similar results. I had lost back down to about 380 but never got lower. we did not continue to see our surgeon. Mistake #2. I always said I wish I had done the full RNY, not the VSG and would have it revised if I could, but had been told it's not something that most do, unless it's needed.

Until about July of this year I stayed about 380 I started throwing up completely randomly. It started with what the MD treated at strep throat, I had a cold and my lymph nodes were swollen as well. Two weeks later I went back, still throwing up. But this time the scale said I was 16# lighter. This goes on for 2 months, and 60#s. My PCP suggest going back to my surgeon because I was throwing up daily and ended up in the ER. After an EGD and lower GI series (barium is awful!) it was determined I have a "twist" in my sleeve and a hiatal hernia. My surgeon said that a RNY revision is more than likely what he would need to do to fix it.

Surgery is Friday I go to the pre surgery class again Wednesday.

im terrified for and excited We are living with my parents while we build, and I'm worried about doing it while living here My husband says he is going to eat just like I do, full liquids and all, in hopes he can "reprogram". With the vsg we cleaned our entire house out, there was nothing but what we could have in the house We didn't cook unless it was on our post op list, etc. I am 325# now, and really, at 5'10", I will be good at 200lbs. But, this is my last chance This is something I didn't think would happen and now it's here. I don't have as much time to prepare and I don't have control over the whole situation and it scares me . I've known people who har RNY and have done fabulous and some who had nothing but problems. Am I trading one problem for another??
a few questions:

How long were you off work? I have a desk job, so it's not strenuous and I can get up and walk often

what do you wish someone had told you?

whats your must haves post op?

any other advice/tips?

thanks

White Dove
on 10/6/19 10:59 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY on a Tuesday and went back to a desk job the following Monday, but felt well enough that I have gone back sooner. Some people found that a revision takes more time to heal than the first surgery.

I remember stocking up on lots of cans for broth and only using one can the first week, because I could only handle a tablespoon at a time.

It sounds like this is the best thing for you and I am looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/7/19 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was out for 2.5 weeks after my VSG-RNY revision. Even though I have a desk job, I was completely exhausted for the first month and had to take a lot of naps.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/7/19 6:54 pm

I had RNY in 2008.

I'm in maintenance, currently under my personal weight goal.

I have some issues, but I am not sure if they are new or from before RNY, just my WLS made it worse.

Maintaining is difficult.i know how to gain, and how to lose. But maintenance requires my constant attention. IMO - it's harder than losing.

I had a couple of regains, each one app 25-30 lbs above my personal goal. But most of the time, after I reached my goal, my weight has been within 10 lbs from my goal. One or the other way.

There are bunch of people on OH who do well with their weight.

In real life - beside People I met on OH, I only know 2-3 people who are doing as well as I maintaining. Most people I know IRL (meeting them locally) have regained significant amount of weight.

My first 2 years was a blast. I was losing and in my second year, I had to work really hard not to lose more weight.

Year 3rd as and 4th I had a very rude awakening, because I started gaining and it took me a while to realized why what I was doing no longer works for my body. I had a thought year 4 that when I had to restrict foods and calories to stop gaining. But eventually I figured things out, change my diet to Keto-Paleo type diet, and not only I stopped gain, but I also was able to lose some if the pounds I re-gained.

It is up to you and your husband. It takes time and dedication. And very hard work. People who have revision typically lose weight slower than "virgin," surgery. You will need a lot of patience, not giving up, even if you see a small increase ok no weight, from one day to another even in the first year post op.

IMO - being consistent, one day at a time, or even ok be meal at a time.

I no longer wait until "Monday" or "next month", or "after a holiday" to get back in track when we stray.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics