VSG to RNY weight loss / vitamins

missmichelle78
on 10/11/19 12:41 pm - Fresno, CA
I have a hernia, GERD and am about 40 lbs over weight. I need to fix the hernia but they strongly suggest revision.
1. I get physically ill flu like symptoms when I eat certain foods like no sugar added and sometimes randomly and have to be careful what I eat. Does that get worse with the RNY?
2. I’ve noticed people with the RNY the weight shifts and their body looks droopy. I didn’t have any of that with the sleeve. Did anyone with the revision experience uneven weightloss?
3. Any regrets?

White Dove
on 10/12/19 12:46 pm - Warren, OH

Most revision patients lose about 20 pounds. You should not see a droopy body from that. The big change should be resolving the GERD. You will still have to watch the sugar intake.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/13/19 9:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I also had a hernia and GERD and ended up with a revision to RNY about 2.5 months ago. No regrets at all, my GERD is completely resolved. Even though I struggle with food getting stuck (my sleeve stretched and my pouch is smaller than normal) I have zero regrets.

Folks can have uneven weight loss with any surgery, I suspect it's all a matter of luck. I'm down 38lb and have none of that so far, I'm saggy in a completely even fashion!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Wolvesfan1
on 11/14/19 11:21 am

I had my sleeve almost 13 years ago. I lost over 100 pounds. I have kept the weight off, but I too have had a hernia and GERD. I didn't want to do the revision to RNY so my doctor repaired my hernia in hopes that it would eliminate the GERD. Needless to say, I'm still having GERD and I have no choice, but to have the RNY. I'm scheduled for surgery on 12/17/19.

Since it's been so many years since I had the sleeve I can't remember how long I was on clear, soft, etc. I do meet with the nutrition in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if you could give me some idea what your eating habits were the first few weeks post surgery. Are there any food that totally disagree with you now?

I'm glad to hear that you have done well. I'm hoping for the same results.

Thanks in advance!

on 11/14/19 11:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Here's what my diet progression was:

• Clear liquids (2 days)
  • Protein-based liquids (4 days)
  • Full liquids (1 week)
  • Puree (1 week)
  • Soft (1 week)
  • Regular foods

I wasn't ready to progress nearly that fast, though. I ate a lot of Greek yogurt and ricotta bake during the puree and soft stages! Also lots of Fairlife milk to hit my protein goals, since I can't stand milky shakes.

There are a few things that don't really agree with me at 3 months out. Jerky gets stuck so I have to steer clear completely. I also have some trouble with beef if it's not very moist or have some sort of sauce; ground beef gives me trouble in particular. But for the most part, I don't have too many problems.

Good luck on your revision!

Wolvesfan1
on 11/14/19 11:44 am

I'm assuming you haven't tried anything sweet. I've been told it usually makes you deathly ill. I'm dreading the protein shakes myself. I'm also not a milk person either. Are your portion sizes smaller than what you ate with the sleeve? I haven't eaten normal in several years and therefore I'm malnourished and underweight at this point. Practically, everything I eat comes back up.

Were they able to do your RNY laparoscopic? Last question, how was the pain? I really had very little pain with the sleeve and with the hernia repair recently. I don't know why, but for some reason I'm scared to death of having the RNY.

I'm glad you are doing well and not having many problems. I hope that I do as well as you.

on 11/14/19 12:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I wouldn't say that I get "deathly sick," but definitely queasy. Without thinking, I tried a bite of my son's chocolate-chip pancake when he offered to share a couple of weeks back, and I had serious stomach cramps after. Not the awful dumping that some folks have-- that doesn't happen to everybody-- but definitely enough that I'll be staying away from sweets.

My portion sizes are definitely smaller than they were right before surgery. My sleeve actually stretched out to close to its original size (I apparently have a connective tissue disorder), so the portions are very similar to what I had soon after VSG.

My surgery was laproscopic, five incisions, no problems with that.

I do think I had more pain with the RNY than the VSG, but take that with a grain of salt; opiate pain meds don't do a damn thing for me. After the first five days or so, I switched to taking tylenol and actually got a lot more relief that way. I had a hernia repair with mesh so that was really sore as well. It sucked, but I made it through, and I think it was worth it to be feeling so much better.

Wolvesfan1
on 11/14/19 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info.

I'm with you on the opiate pain meds. I don't see how anyone could become addicted to them. They just kind of numb me, but make me nauseated for hours. I did extra strength Tylenol when I had my hernia, esophagus and my diaphragm repair. I would rather feel a bit of pain than feel nauseated.

Thanks again!

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:06 pm - Renton, WA

I am in the same boat as you. Revision scheduled for early January. Don't want to do it. But have no choice. Please post about how your surgery and surgery recovery go.

Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:07 pm - Renton, WA

I am in the same boat as you. Revision scheduled for early January. Don't want to do it. But have no choice. Please post about how your surgery and surgery recovery go.

Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Most Active
Recent Topics