Post Revision Feedback...

Fenice
on 10/16/19 1:15 pm

Hello,

I'm scheduled to have a revision of my 10 year old RNY in a few weeks. I've been here on OH and I'm surprised at how few positive stories there are to be found here in the revision forum. Is it that it's just not that successful or are people just reluctant to post up about their journey? If you have had a revision, please tell me what your journey was like. What worked, what didn't. How are you doing today?

Thank you,

White Dove
on 10/16/19 2:55 pm - Warren, OH

It is because people think that a revision means they are going to lose weight like they did with the first surgery and are disappointed when they learn that revision averages a loss of about 20 pounds.

If you decide to combine the revision with going back to eating like you did after your first surgery, you might lose more. It is certainly possible with diet and exercise to lose all of your excess weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Fenice
on 10/17/19 6:13 am

Well, I'm still surprised there are not more threads about people's success or lack thereof. I'd just like to here anything from people who have had revisions and how it went...good or not so good.

Thank you,

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/19 5:45 am

What kind of a revision you are having? RNY to ????.

People *****vise from VSG to RNY - often do that to help with severe GERD they developed over time. But you may find them on RNY forum.

People *****vised from RNY to DS - you can find them mostly on the DS forum. (unless they did not chose their doc wisely and are dead from complication)

BTW - a few years ago there was massive exodus from OH of people who had DS, the virgin DS, or revision to DS. There are still some, but not as many as used to here.

Even other forums are losing participants. There are many FB groups, other sites for post op WLS people, each groups with limited participants.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/19 5:38 am

The revision surgery is often more difficult than virgin WLS surgery, and most docs either don't want to do it, or are not trained in doing that. Some revision surgery, i.e from RNY to DS is so complicated that there are a very few surgeons who know how to do it properly.

Add that a lot of insurance companies have "one else per lifetime" regardless if it is medically necessary, or the original surgery was cash paid, or paid by another insurance.

Revision surgery for just weight loss - a lot of time, if the original surgery is still intact, mature, but there is no damage to the insides, a revision surgery may not provide the person results she/he expects if that person continue overeating or eating foods that overtime contribute to weight gain. Even small gain, like 1/2 lb over a month, is almost undetectable on a short term basis, but it can add up over the years. Gaining just an average of 1/2 per month, over 5 years would add up to 30lbs, and in 10 years would result in a 60 lb weight gain. (I am 11 years post op) and it s so easy to gain the 1/2 lb per month. No?

Often people who had a significant regain - are advised to go back to basics, HGH protein diet, low carb, no alcohol, plus regular exercise (even as simple as just walking 30 min 5- x a week) would help to lose weight and keep it off.

A couple of times during the 11 years I regained up to 30- 35 lbs from my personal goal, (or 40 from my lowest). And both times, I got my **** together and lost the regain. Was it easy ? No but doable. My pouch, though matured, still offers me a good restriction when I eat properly - dense proteins +fat+ non starchy veggies. I often discover that my restriction is better than I think it is, because I couldn't finish what I thought I could, and had leftovers. (I.e 5 oz of roast chicken with some raw veggies - I couldn't finish the plate). For me - when I am mindful what I eat, how fast I eat, and how well I chew my food - I still have a very good restriction.

Most of us, long term post op , often suggest that when there is no damage to the original created anatomy - the person tries really hard to get back to basics and lose the regain, before they chose the surgery. Any surgery has a risk of complication, infection, hernia, etc. A revision surgery done by inexperienced surgeon can cause serious problems that may cause the patient their health or their life.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Fenice
on 10/18/19 6:37 am

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply, and with such detail!

You asked about my revision, I'm 10 years post-op. I lost almost 200 pounds and have put back on half that (100 pounds.) I started going back to my original hospital about a year ago and haven't managed the control I wanted. They referred me to another office who ran testing and found (what I already knew) that my pouch was very "dilated" and the hole at the bottom was also too big. They want to do three things, resize the pouch, restrict the hole, and a "long limb" bypass to help increase malabsorption. I know that a the end of the day, I have to lose the weight, I just want more control and now that I understand how all this works, I think I'm capable of using the tool effectively. I'm still a changed man and don't eat anything like I did 11 years ago.

I think your comments about people migrating from OH to FB is spot on. I'm going to look there for resources as well. I'm just trying to find stores of what to expect in a few weeks. I suspect it will be a lot like the first time 10 years ago but I hope to read about other people's journey.

Again, many thanks and continued success to you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/19 9:27 am

Good luck. Sound like you are getting the distal RNY. Unfortunately known as one of the least desirable WLS, with a small pouch, possible dumping, and severe malabsorbtion.

Distal RNY are known to malabsorb minerals and vitamins as bad if not worse than DS. They need to supplement as much if not more than peopel with DS, and monitor a lot of vitamins and minerals, ideally every 6 months long term.

Hopefully the surgeon would leave you enough common chanel, to help with absorbtion of minerals and vitamins.

Good luck.

Fenice
on 10/18/19 10:04 am

I'm going to be speaking with my surgeon in two weeks. I want to know if that's what it, as I've read those things before. Oddly I've also seen some posts suggesting that the Long Limb bypass and the Distal are two different things. I do want clarity on that. I'll say this, I've always been very good about the vitamin regimen and I've always been lucky to have had perfect or near perfect labs every time. Of course, all that could change if the plumbing is heavily modified.

White Dove
on 10/18/19 11:37 am - Warren, OH

Ask lots of questions.

What will your bathroom routine be like after surgery?

What vitamins will you need?

What is his definition of long limb or distal?

How much have his patients lost with his revision?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Fenice
on 10/18/19 12:34 pm

All good ones, and I will ask them.

My quest for stories and feedback from OH members to to get the "actual" to compare with what they say at the Rx office...

Most Active
Recent Topics