Revision surgery in Mexico

KayLavonne
on 12/5/19 12:48 pm

Hello All,

Me and my husband is considering me having a revision surgery in Mexico, since my job does not have this as a covered expense ( I have exhausted all of my appeals). Has anyone went to Mexico? Good experiences? Bad experiences? I am revising from Sleeve to Bypass. I know there is a forum for Mexico in the community section, but it tends to be inactive. I could really use some help in our research. Please be as expressive and detailed as possible!!!!!

Thanks

velouria
on 12/6/19 7:48 am

Hello!

I had a VSG in 2011 (at 32 bmi) lost about 70 lbs. I slowly had a 30 lb weight gain and wanted to stop in in its tracks so I inquired about a revision. I went to the pioneer king of the DS, Dr. Ungson in Mexicali and they were wonderful. Since I only have 35-ish lbs to lose, my weight isn't flying off but I have lost 19 lbs in 3 months (which is a little more than 50% of my excess weight)

They did not adjust my sleeve, just added the DS. It was $8500 w/1000 down.

Hope that was helpful!

KayLavonne
on 12/6/19 8:23 am

how was the follow up? I remember getting my sleeve and I followed up at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months. It helped me stay on track and it helped with some of the side effects I was having. But if I am having surgery in Mexico, then how would I follow up? They said my PCP would do it but my insurance has a strict exclusion where they do not cover anything associated with WLS, even follow up PCP visits. What was your experience?

velouria
on 12/6/19 10:18 am

I just followed up via email. They were very helpful. The recovery at home was very similar to my sleeve.

White Dove
on 12/7/19 9:24 am, edited 12/7/19 1:24 am - Warren, OH

When you have surgery in Mexico and your US insurance does not cover anything related to weight loss surgery, you buy an insurance policy to cover any complications that might happen from the surgery. The surgeon in Mexico will assist with getting that policy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 12/9/19 6:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

not all Mexican surgeons offer this policy.

KayLavonne
on 12/9/19 1:01 pm

One company, Pompeii, does have insurance but it only covers you if there are complications related to the surgery itself. Once you go back home in the states, the insurance does not cover follow up. The insurance would cover any direct surgical complications but that is it, and its only for a year. So if there is a leak or a tear or something its covered.... follow up, labs, etc is not. It seems like a reputable company but I am still hesitant of having surgery in Mexico because there are so many horror stories out there. I am trying to get 3-4 companies and then narrow my choices.

White Dove
on 12/9/19 1:07 pm - Warren, OH

If there are going to be complications like leaks, they would probably happen in the first year. I would not be afraid to have surgery out of the country but would do a lot of research.

Follow up visits are just labs and the surgeon seeing how your weight loss is going. Any doctor can do them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Pkwame123
on 12/15/19 4:00 pm
Revision on 03/01/20

I have been doing research with Pompeii as well. I have been in contact with several and they seem to be doing pretty well

hollykim
on 12/9/19 6:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM Pacific Time, KayLavonne wrote:

how was the follow up? I remember getting my sleeve and I followed up at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months. It helped me stay on track and it helped with some of the side effects I was having. But if I am having surgery in Mexico, then how would I follow up? They said my PCP would do it but my insurance has a strict exclusion where they do not cover anything associated with WLS, even follow up PCP visits. What was your experience?

there isn't any follow up. Unless you want to go back to Mx every 3 months.

You have to be very prepared to follow up for yourself. You have to be diligent and on the ball after surgery in Mx.

My physicians have all done follow up for me from labs to Egd.

my physicians know I had weight loss surgery and they code labs as labs and Egd as reflux with no mention of my past medical history which they aren't required to disclose to the insurance company. My medical records are protected by HIPPA as are yours.

Most Active
Recent Topics