RNY to Band Can I Revise?

DaisyRN
on 1/5/20 8:50 am - Wheatfield, IN
RNY on 04/25/17

I would say that the sleeve would not be an option because you have already had RNY. I would look into the duodenal switch this is the most durable weight loss of all revision procedures however, also the most drastic as well.

Gastric Bypass 04/26/2017

HW=325 lbs

SW=305 lbs

CW=195 lbs

GW=170 lbs

JUST BECAUSE I CAN DOES NOT MEAN I SHOULD

Heather S.
on 1/5/20 11:48 am

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your feedback. I cannot agree more with you. I will begin researching the DS I am familiar with the procedure but I think I need a refresher course and a visit to see a surgeon as well. Thank you for this information, it's very helpful.

Thank You,

Heather

DaisyRN
on 1/5/20 12:31 pm - Wheatfield, IN
RNY on 04/25/17

No problem! Good luck with your journey!

Gastric Bypass 04/26/2017

HW=325 lbs

SW=305 lbs

CW=195 lbs

GW=170 lbs

JUST BECAUSE I CAN DOES NOT MEAN I SHOULD

rocky513
on 1/5/20 3:22 pm, edited 1/5/20 7:23 am - WI

RNY to DS is possible, but it is a very complicated surgery. If you go this route then make sure you find a surgeon that can actually perform this difficult revision. There are very few in the country that can. Do a lot of research.

There are very few revisions of RNY that are successful. The reason most RNY surgeries fail is user error....not following the WLS rules... like not drinking with meals, or for 30 minutes after, and over eating, causing the stoma to stretch. Once the stoma has stretched there is very little you can do. There are procedures that try to tighten the stoma, but they are not very successful.

If you get a revision you have to commit to becoming a very strict rule follower. No drinking with meals, Measuring and recording every bite so you don't over eat and stretch the stoma, taking your vitamins, avoiding starchy foods and eating protein first....and many of us work with a therapist that specializes in eating disorders to figure out why we choose to over eat and how to stop that cycle.

When Sparklekitty says that any surgery can fail, it's usually because we are not being compliant. The surgery was never meant to do all the work in your weight loss. You have to take it seriously and do your part by choosing to eat right and exercise. You need to figure out why you are regaining with a second WLS before you go forward with a third. Get some testing done to see if you have any mechanical failures of your surgery. If everything is working properly, then your pouch still works and behavioral changes can be made to lose weight. There are many people on this site who have lost significant regain without revisions.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Heather S.
on 1/9/20 1:48 pm

Rocky,

Thanks for your detailed explanation it's appreciated. I can understand what you are say from an anatomical standpoint and from a user standpoint as well. I have many things to consider along with doing my due diligence with research.

Thanks for suggesting some anatomical testing as well, I had not thought of this and it's a great place to begin.

Thank You,

Heather

sleeved524
on 1/9/20 10:02 am
RNY on 01/30/20 with

i dont think you can revised to sleeve but probably revise to DS. Look into it..

Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics