RNY to Band Can I Revise?

Heather S.
on 12/30/19 4:59 pm

All,

It has been years since I have been on this site. However, I am searching for help. In 2006 I had RNY and was successful however weight regain slowly occurred and I revised to a band in 2008 and experienced more weight regain.

Does anyone know if I can further revise to sleeve?

Thank You,

Heather

White Dove
on 1/2/20 5:36 am - Warren, OH

You have been through a lot. BOB or band over bypass was popular around 2008, but did not help most people. You would have to be evaluated by a surgeon to see if the band can be removed and the RNY revised, although I have never heard of RNY being revised to sleeve.

The sleeve is a non-absorption surgery that normally results in less weight loss than RNY, so revising from sleeve to RNY is the more common operation now. The sleeve sometimes results in severe GERD and revision is done to relieve the GERD.

Any weight loss surgery is just a tool to help us eat less food. I had RNY in 2007 and started back to Weigh****chers when I started to regain in 2009. I am still following the Weigh****chers plan.

What food and exercise plans are you following?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Heather S.
on 1/2/20 10:33 am

Thank you for the information. I have had the band removed about 3 years after surgery. I will consult a surgeon. So much about this surgery has changed since having it.

Thank You,

Heather

DS80
on 1/2/20 10:37 pm, edited 1/2/20 2:39 pm

Yes. I just had a revision on the 19th from RNY to Partial Gastrectomy with Gastrojejunostomy.So RNY surgeries before 2010 were made much larger. Mine was 4 times the size. Over the years I had complications though. For years suffering from nausea and vomiting and a hiatal hernia. I am grateful and hope you find the answers. Get on it dont wait. My revision journey started 2 yrs ago. Good luck

Heather S.
on 1/3/20 3:54 am

That's great. I wish you continued success.

Thank You,

Heather

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/3/20 8:07 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What does your daily eating and activity look like?

Unless there is a mechanical issue with your surgery, a revision won't do anything. Bluntly, if you can gain weight (presumably due to eating habits?) after two surgeries, there's nothing preventing you from doing so after a third surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Heather S.
on 1/4/20 9:25 am

Thanks your response. But I'm asking if a revision is possible if my anatomy has changed. Based on RNY surgery then a band. As you know since the stomach has stretched I'm wondering if it's possible.

While weight regain is a possibility with every surgery that is not in question.

Thank You,

Heather

Heather S.
on 1/4/20 9:30 am

Sparkle kitty, could you be more specific are you certain that a revision is not possible? This are you saying that everyone who has revised will ultimately regain weight at some point? I think I'm confused.

Thank You,

Heather

Laura in Texas
on 1/4/20 7:09 pm

Dr. Vuong has a lot of great videos on Youtube. You should watch some of them.

THIS one concerning the epidemic of revisions was good.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Heather S.
on 1/5/20 11:46 am

This is extremely helpful thank you for sharing. I will be sure to watch the videos. I appreciate it.

Thank You,

Heather

Most Active
Recent Topics