Food log and revision questions *plz be nice*

LauraMJ1987
on 1/9/20 5:02 pm, edited 1/10/20 7:49 am

I'm going to see the surgeon who originally did my gastric bypass back in in 2008, this coming February 14th, 2020. They want me to keep a food log, but I'm not sure what to put on it.... Obviously, I know what the right things are to eat and how much to eat, but I no longer have the sensation of being full after a small portion has been eaten... I take small bites, use a bariatric app timer to chew my food, don't drink with meals and I walk away when my plate is empty, BUT I always go back for more bc I'm still hungry!! I'm committed to doing the work and exercising and eating right, I just really miss my tool!! I miss the sensation of being full, which told my head stop eating!! As of now, without being full, I want to continue to eat just as I did before I had the surgery... Did anyone who has been approved for a revision have to keep a food log? If so, what did you document? ALSO, for insurance to approve, did you have to wait 6months as you did before the original surgery?

rocky513
on 1/10/20 4:46 am - WI

Don't lie to the doctors!!!! Write down what you actually eat and measure your food so it is accurate. Your doctors can not make the proper assessment of what you need without your complete honesty.

Many insurance policies have a once in a life time clause for weight loss surgery. The only way those policies will cover a revision is if you have some sort of mechanical malfunction of your original surgery. Have you had testing to see if everything is still functioning as it should? If everything is still working then you CAN lose the weight without revision. Many on this site have lost significant regain. If there is a malfunction then you will likely be approved for a revision. I don't know which surgery you had but if you had VSG, and you have developed GERD, they will revise you to RNY to cure the GERD.

If you had RNY there are very few revisions that are successful. They can tighten the stoma if you have stretched it out but if you want that to work you must then become a strict rule follower for the rest of your life.

If you are eating a lot of carbs, that will make you feel extreme hunger. After WLS you can eat a boatload of carby food an never feel full. I could eat an entire box of crackers and go back for more. Eating dense protein(chicken breast, or steak) will tell you if you still have restriction. Eating like a rabbit is not how we are supposed to eat after WLS. We are supposed to eat dense protein first then veggies if there is room, and take our vitamins. No bread, rice, pasta, cereal, sugar, etc.

If you are drinking with your meals....STOP! Drinking with meals will allow you to eat way more food than you need and can effect your restriction. It can also contribute to stretching your stoma by forcing food that was not adequately chewed through that small hole. If you get a revision where they tighten your stoma, this rule will be important to follow for the rest of your life.

The reality is...you might not be a good candidate for revision. Only your doctor can decide that based on your honesty. Either way, you can still be committed to eating right and exercising and get great results.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

LauraMJ1987
on 1/10/20 7:43 am

Im sorry if my msg was misleading, I am most definitely going to be honest on my log. I think my post was misunderstood. Thank you for your response.

KayLavonne
on 1/13/20 12:06 pm

I definitely understand what you are going through, and I am also getting a revision. However (despite what negative comments people on here have), I am going to Mexico to get my revision for 2 reasons.... First is that my insurance did not cover it. They agreed that it was medically necessary, but my insurance has all bariatric procedures and any treatment related to a bariatric procedure as an exclusion. I even took the appeal to the state, and the state sided with my insurance. The second reason is because of all the hoops you have to jump to get approval in the states. I have significant GERD and have the medical documents to back up why a revision is necessary, and still not approved. I can't continue to live with this GERD! I wrote an excellent appeal so I could share it with you just in case it is necessary (I hope you do not have to appeal). I really hope you are approved and you don't have to wait an outrageous amount of time before you are approved... I know someone who also got surgery in Mexico because her company wanted her to do a 9 month medical supervised eating program and she did not want to wait. Also, her deductible and coinsurance was about the same as having it in Mexico.

I also understand you about missing the tool. I miss my tool too! I no longer feel full like i did once before, and now I can eat just as much as everyone else. I miss having that satisfied feeling after only a few ounces of food. If you are approved, just remember that you can always stretch out your stoma. Also, take joy and satisfaction in having that feeling again. But I know you can do it, and I know you will be successful!!! Please continue to post and I would love to know how your journey is and how things turns out.

LauraMJ1987
on 1/13/20 2:46 pm

Thank you for responding. I feel like I get nothing but negative responses and ppl yelling at me on here... ð??" My insurance covers it, I'm afraid that the surgeon won't do it. I met with a PA locally at a different office and she basically dismissed me... I never even got to see the surgeon... So I guess I'm afraid that'll happen again. The surgeon who I'm going to see this time did my original procedure in 2008, so I have high hopes that she will help me. The only catch is that my apt is with her PA this time too... Her office is 2hr from my house, it's difficult to go there let alone to see someone who isn't the real deal... And I don't want to be told to see a nutritionist, I probably know more about calories and fat than the nutritionist does! Lol My email is [email protected], feel free to msg m on there. Hope to talk to you soon!

KayLavonne
on 1/14/20 1:19 pm

Yes I definitely understand with some people's responses. For some reason, it seems that people make it their personal perrogative to correct others. I have no idea why. Although yes, it may be that we stretched our stoma, with other things. However, we are here for answers. I like to help people using a strength based approach (probably because I am a social worker). I am not at all saying to ignore your eating habits or to not confront your issues... I am saying that sometimes if we focus on the strenghts first, then it allows you to make more concrete decisions because you aren't making decisions based on guilt and shame. Its all about the approach. Thanks for providing your email. I will follow up with you. And also I hope for the best for you!

If possible, could you ask for a different PA? I had similar issues when I went to my original surgeon. They refused to help me. They told me that I was eating out of control and drinking too much because I gained 10 lbs over a year (and I was not drinking or eating out of control. She just didn't want to help me). They flat out refused to help me. I felt horrible, felt like a failure, and it made me go right back to my unhealthy coping mechanism... eating. They wouldn't even allow me to attend the support groups because they did not want me to "influence" others. I had no one to help me. This was about 6 years ago. So please don't feel that way.

Try to be as honest as possible. Hopefully, if they do make you see a nutritionist, it will only be for a few months and it will actually help you.

Hoping for the best!!!

reneamrr
on 5/27/20 7:13 am

Kay did you get your revision? If so, how are you doing? I am just getting back on these message boards because after 16 years I have regained over 100#. I know my current insurance will not pay for the revision because of exclusions. I am thinking Mexico too but just not sure.

kessie
on 1/30/20 7:48 am

This thread saddens me as well as making me scared to confess that I am almost back to my pre-surgery weight. I moved out of the state I had my r-ny in and feel I am grasping at straws. I went through so much and never did make it to goal weight.

Most Active
Recent Topics