Band over bypass revision surgery??

Jenn S.
on 1/20/20 12:45 pm - Long Island, NY
Posted just now

Has anyone had band over bypass revision surgery? I had RNY bypass surgery in 2002. I lost about 80lbs, but never lost as much as I had hoped/expected. Over the years, I've gained back 50-60lbs. After 5 years of trying everything to lose the weight, I went for a consultation to discuss revision options. My Dr. suggested placing a lap band over the original bypass. Has anyone had this procedure done? How successful was this revision? Did insurance cover it? Has anyone found any other successful revision options?

ladygodiva1228
on 1/21/20 7:36 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 20, 2020 at 8:45 PM Pacific Time, Jenn S. wrote:
Posted just now

Has anyone had band over bypass revision surgery? I had RNY bypass surgery in 2002. I lost about 80lbs, but never lost as much as I had hoped/expected. Over the years, I've gained back 50-60lbs. After 5 years of trying everything to lose the weight, I went for a consultation to discuss revision options. My Dr. suggested placing a lap band over the original bypass. Has anyone had this procedure done? How successful was this revision? Did insurance cover it? Has anyone found any other successful revision options?

I'm going to be honest as someone who had a lap band before revising to the bypass there is not way I would ever want one of those torture devices placed over a bypass.

I suggest one of two things either get back to basics dense protein first, track/measure/weigh everything you eat or contact one of the few surgeons in the US that does a bypass to DS revision.

Did your doctor check to see if there is anything wrong with your original surgery? Many times it is unfortunately that we fall back into bad habits that cause the weight gain. I know there are some folks who have started WW and the new plan is really helping them get rid of any gain they might have had.

As for insurance many of them are now doing a once in a lifetime WLS.

I wish you good luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/21/20 9:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Bands are bad news. Some hospitals won't even place them any more because the complication rates are so bad-- scarring, adhesions, all sorts of ugly problems. I don't know of a single person on OH who's had a lap band placed who still has it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cattipat
on 1/25/20 9:35 am - Etobicoke, Canada

I just had my band removed three weeks ago. My original RNY was in 2005. I do not recommend the band for the following reasons:

- Cost. They aren't covered by most insurance plans. Most of the places that sell these bands use predatory, sleazy loan companies to finance their procedures. You will end up paying 2-3 times the amount of the loan by the time you pay it off. I got screwed out of more than $20,000 - over and above the cost of the band.

- They don't work. I had three "fills" after experiencing no weight loss and no sensation of being able to eat less. I was told that my band contained the maximum amount of saline. When my band removal surgeon tried to remove the saline at my first visit, it contained no fluid. The band had a hole in it the whole time, and the saline was just leaking out whenever I got a fill.

- Nasty side effects. I had chronic pain in my side around the injection port under the skin, which felt like a bruise. The band commonly slides around, causing intermittent problems like acid reflux and regurgitation of food. I couldn't swallow a lot of weird things, like smoothies. For some reason I couldn't swallow anything for the first hour after getting up in the mornings. Often the band will erode into your esophagus over time, which causes life threatening complications. I also used to get painful upper belly cramps after eating certain foods, I haven't had any since the band was removed. I had to sleep sitting upright to prevent reflux and regurgitation at night.

I'm now trying to arrange to get a Duodenal Switch, which is really the best revision surgery for a RNY. It has the best long term weight loss and you lose the most weight. The drawback is that it's a complex procedure and not many surgeons perform it. I've read that some people get gastric sleeves, but they don't provide as much weight loss and they fail after a few years as the stomach grows back to its original size. There's no malabsorption to help you keep the weight off as there is with an RNY or DS. Also, it's a lot harder to "undo" a RNY for a gastric sleeve (they have to move the intestines back to where they were before the RNY), so it's often an open surgery.

Thinking_Positive
on 1/27/20 10:51 pm

I would not recommend the lap band. I've had mine since 2012 and am currently in process of a revision to a sleeve. At first I lost a few pounds 40-50, then after about a year it slipped. Doctor took the fluid out and had to wait a month before I got it filled again. Same amount which was max but this time no restriction. After another year of frustration and gaining most of my weight back I went back to get a revision. My insurance denied me. In the meantime I tore my meniscus, with my weight so high I had a very hard time walking so I'd make it to work to sit and home to sit. I tried many things suggested by my doctor to no avail. I joined yet another weight loss clinic to have my loss recorded. After spending well over $1000 I quit because Ins didn't cover it. Tried probably a year later to again be denied. Their reason was I didn't do enough exercise. I could barely walk or stand for any length of time. So I kind of gave up and kept gaining. I eventually the doctor did a knee replacement and my knee is great! 3 weeks after my surgery I got plantar fasciitis in my other foot. If you haven't ever had it, believe me it is excruciating pain. That last about 15 months. Now I'm retired and decided I'm sick of being fat! So I went back to my surgeon and said let's try it again. Next month will be my 4th month then they will schedule my surgery. I just want to get it over with. When I initially enemy in for the lap band the doctor tried to talk me out of it because it's not as successful. But I had my mind set on it. Shortly after he quit doing them. I should have listened to him

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics