REVISION?? SLEEVE TO BYPASS

dmcs85
on 5/25/20 3:41 am

I am going to be extremely honest!! I need help!! I had the sleeve done almost 3 years ago. I went from 297 to 184. In the past 9 months I have gained 20+ lbs. My Gerd is absolutely out of control. I take the highest dose of Protonix and eat Tums and still little relief. My surgeon suggested a revision to the BYPASS but I'm nervous. Even at my lowest weight of 184 lbs I STILL had heartburn so will the revision to lose weight again even really help?? Has anyone had the revision done and had their Gerd cured?? Also how much weight did you lose after the revision?? Thank you in advance :-)

VSG 8/28/17

KEEP ON, KEEPING ON

rocky513
on 5/26/20 4:43 pm - WI

The sleeve creates a high pressure system in your stomach just because of the way it is shaped (long and skinny) which forces the acid into the esophagus. RNY bypasses the lower part of the stomach, where cells that produce stomach acid are located, by cutting it away and rerouting intestines. The remnant stomach is left in place and the stomach acid continues move into the intestines to aid in digestion, but can not get to the esophagus to cause GERD. Sometimes a few cells are left in the new RNY pouch and people can get heartburn after RNY, but it usually can be controlled with diet.

I had an old VBG surgery and suffered for 25 years with GERD and was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. I revised to RNY and woke up from surgery GERD free. That was ten years ago and the GERD has never returned. I do not even take medication for GERD any more!

Run...don't walk... to the nearest revision surgeon. Living a life with uncontrolled GERD is dangerous, as is living on GERD medication for the rest of your life.

The plus side...if you take things seriously and follow the RNY rules, you will lose the rest of your weight.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

dmcs85
on 5/26/20 7:49 pm

Thank you for all the info! How much did you loose after your revision?

VSG 8/28/17

KEEP ON, KEEPING ON

rocky513
on 5/27/20 3:41 am - WI

With my original VBG I lost 105 pounds. Then I gained back about 50 pounds. After my revision I lost 90 pounds and got to 15 pounds below my goal weight. I went from an original weight of 275 down to 142 after my revision. I am ten years out from my revision and my weight today is 162. I would like to get back down to 150.

dmcs85
on 5/27/20 3:55 am

Wow! You had great success :-)

VSG 8/28/17

KEEP ON, KEEPING ON

rocky513
on 5/27/20 2:05 pm - WI

I'm a rule follower. If you follow the rules of not drinking with meals, eating protein first and then veggies if you have room, limiting carby foods like bread, pasta, sugary food, potatoes. etc. you will succeed. I also drink a minimum of 120 ounces of fluid daily.

alicia601
on 7/8/20 6:55 pm - NY

I'm in the process of doing a revision also. Got sleeved in feb 2011, lost 135 pounds but had gerd since day 1 of recovery. No medication is helping and I'm nervous I will end up with barrett's esophagus or even cancer. I'm nervous to go through all this again. I'm so happy to know I'm not the only one going through this. I'm 163 now and would like to go back to 130. Has anyone had any complications from revision due to gerd issues ????

Thanks everyone for any help or input. I'm just nervous

KrissyKooKoo
on 5/28/20 7:22 am
RNY on 07/22/19

I had the revision almost a year ago. I lost about 30 lbs from the revision but still need to lose more. My GERD is completely gone, but I don't feel much restriction. I suppose I do feel restriction, but it's nothing like the restriction the sleeve gave me.

Dee_Caprini
on 5/29/20 3:33 pm

I had reflux issues prior to my surgery so it was advised that if I went the sleeve route (with was pretty early on) it would potentially get worse, so I went with the RNY. I have heartburn every now and then but it's usually because I ate something RIGHT before bed that was acidic or took meds without enough water. All manageable and usually with Tums. Bypass means that you have some rules to follow (sugars, carbs, fats) otherwise consuming too much of something may make you sick. Everything is manageable, though.

Best of luck!

I have had several friends (unfortunately, not on OH) who have had a revision from VSG to Bypass for that reason and all are pretty happy with the end result.

Most Active
Recent Topics