Revision Options - RNY 2007

Candice T.
on 12/7/20 1:03 am - Charlotte, NC

Hi guys!! I haven't posted in many years but wanted to see if this was still a resource in the WLS community.

RNY 2007- lost about 125lbs because the surgery works. I am now back to 300lbs. My dad died 3 months after my surgery and I embarked on a long journey finding alcohol as a coping solution. I am embarking on almost 3 years of sobriety and have done a ton of head and spiritual work. I also just turned 40 and find it extremely difficult to loose weight... keto is my preferred plan.

What revision options are best and why for RNY?

Would love to hear your successes or challenges!

Thanks in advance!

“Kindness is more than deeds. It is an attitude, an expression, a look, a touch. It is anything that lifts another person.”

White Dove
on 12/8/20 5:33 am - Warren, OH

We do have a revision board. The problem with revisions is that people almost never come back and tell us the results. The average weight loss with a revision is twenty pounds. But some people take it as a new opportunity to buckle down and lose weight. They can work hard at it and lose all of their excess weight.

You do need to talk to a weight loss surgeon and see what your options are. Some will make the pouch smaller or tighten the opening at the end of the pouch. Others do procedures that change the intestines. Find out what the surgeon does and what the surgery will be like to live with long term.

I would ask to talk to some of the surgeon's patients and find out how much they lost and what issues came with the surgery that they had. Then you can make an informed decision and one that you can have success with.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Schunkrj55
on 1/9/21 3:00 pm
Revision on 11/05/20

Hi...I had RNY in 2005 and lost 75 lbs; this past year I really began packing in the weight and put in 35 pounds. WW helped me lose about 12 lbs. I had a revision (stoma was stretched out and the dr tightened it) and my gallbladder removed at the same time (11/7). I feel wonderful, and have lost 20 lbs from my initial revision appointment...due to the liquids only phase, I'm sure. That being said...the honeymoon phase (18 mo) of the original RNY is past; the revision is just restriction...and I'm not that restricted. I've realized I must work this...if I don't I will gain again and again. No free/easy ride. If I didn't need to have the gallbladder removed, looking back, I don't see any benefit (truly) if the revision surgery. I am motivated and now my decision is whether to go low carb (as Bariatric nutritionist in dr's office re on ends...for all Bariatric patients) or go back to the WW plan as after all these years, my body has adapted to my see small pouch (my pouch hadn't gotten larger). So....I'm not sure what road to take at this point; I had expected to have lost a greater amount than 20 lbs in the past 2 months, but I've not been strictly following any plan...so what else should I have expected? Oh well...I'm back on track (if I can figure out the right track)...wish me luck! I'm wishing all who are having revision surgery much success...truly. Just get on track.

White Dove
on 1/9/21 4:09 pm - Warren, OH

I strongly suggest Weigh****chers. Go to Live meetings if possible.

Schunkrj55
on 1/10/21 6:55 am
Revision on 11/05/20

Thank you! I'm in NJ and with lockdowns, live meetings are pretty impossible. Do you follow WW to a T? Meaning...do you eat all daily points or do you eat less? I understand the WW route, because with low carb/high protein, a lot of calories are being consumed...unless protein drinks/bars are used. That's not realistic. I am taking your advice; I am starting WW today. I need control.

Thank you for accepting my friend request! I'll keep you posted on my success, and I'm looking forward to reading your posts ?

White Dove
on 1/10/21 8:52 am - Warren, OH

A Weigh****cher point is approximately 50 calories. So for me I lose one pound a week on 16 points a day which is about 800 calories. When I get on a plan with more points I quit losing.

A woman needs 10 calories a day to maintain one pound of weight. So for me to maintain 136 which is my goal, I need 1360 calories a day. I round it up to 1400. That means I maintain on 28 points per day. To lose one pound a week, I eliminate 3,500 calories. That is 500 per day or 10 points less per day. So I would lose a pound a week on 18 points. I make it 16 points and use the free foods. If I did count free foods, it would be 18 points a day.

I joined Weigh****chers and became a lifetime member in 1973. So I have been through many programs and really understand how they all work. My large weight gain was the result of going on insulin for diabetes. The weight loss surgery was an attempt to put the diabetes in remission. I was up to 176 when the doctor suggested surgery. I wanted to do it on my own and ended up at 208 before I gave in and got the surgery.

I started regain at 30 months out. I was 142 when I went back to Weigh****chers. It is the only plan where I have been able to lose weight and never feel deprived of any food. If I really wanted to I would eat cookies or brownies all day as long as it did not exceed 18 points. I never did that but feel free to know that I could do it and still lose weight.

Schunkrj55
on 1/10/21 5:03 pm
Revision on 11/05/20

Joined WW digital this morning; I really reinstated my old membership...which is good because it showed me past weigh-ins, +/-, etc. I am starting 15 lbs less than my last weigh-in so that is strengthening my resolve ?. I feel more in control tracking. Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and experience.

KrissyKooKoo
on 12/9/20 7:07 pm
RNY on 07/22/19

I had a revision from VSG to RNY last year. I lost about 15 lbs from the surgery itself and then my weight stopped moving. I had to go back to basics and be super strict with my diet and exercise to lose anything after that.

Mary H.
on 1/11/21 10:44 am - Gray Court, SC

My WLS physician made it clear that there would be no revisions done if we gained our weight back. He said that the revision does not work and any weight loss is minimal at best. I had my RNY done in 2005, I have gained a total of 20 pounds from my lowest weight after surgery. He said that 20 pounds gained back was actually the norm for most people. Everyone, with the exception of one person, that I became friends with during my journey, have gained all of the weight back and some even more than their original weight. I can eat normal, but I know my limitations and what not to eat. I have been struggling for the past 2 years to drop the 20 pounds but it is not coming off. Exercise, dieting, nothing has made that scale move. So I have come to the conclusion my body wants to stay where I am now and I need to accept it. Good luck but I would seriously reconsider trying a revision.

Mary H.
on 1/11/21 10:46 am - Gray Court, SC

Sorry that was suppose to be 2006. Didn't notice the typo till I hit send.

Most Active
Recent Topics