RNY in 2006, 15 years later, weigh more than at time of original surgery ...

dispatchermarly
on 4/15/21 4:40 pm - Indio, CA

Hello all!

Its been a good while since my last visit to this site. I had the gastric bypass December 2006, and a band over bypass revision in 2013. Then had the band removed in 2014 because of complications. Never felt full, weight loss was slow, and it was causing issues with my swallowing, and continuous coughing. I am now even heavier than my original gastric weight. Gastric I got down to 160, I was 22 years old. Completely stupid, and alcohol was a huge factor in my life, as well as an abusive relationship which only worsened my drinking and eating. Having been over 10 years now and some therapy sessions later, I am finding it difficult to lose this weight. What are some recommendations for revision surgeries now? I'm so out of the loop with anything gastric surgery related. Thanks in advance.

White Dove
on 4/25/21 3:04 pm - Warren, OH

As you probably already know, revisions, like band over bypass, stomaphyx, or other procedures result in about 20 pounds of temporary weight loss.

About 50% of people regain 50% of their lost weight by year 5. By year 10, many have regained all of the weight with extra pounds. RNY gives you about a two year window to lose about 100 pounds and to learn how to eat to maintain that loss.

Revising to a DS has helped some, but it a complicated procedure and there are only a few surgeons in the world who do it. There are some modified versions of DS. Whether you do another surgery or not, the key will be in changing your eating habits.

By year three, I accepted that I will have to be on a diet for life and went back to Weigh****chers. I am still a member.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics