Thinking about revision due to complications

ktharp89
on 12/14/22 5:51 am - Gaithersburg, MD

I had roux en y gastric bypass in March 2011 and I lost about 80 pounds. Over the course of the last decade with 2 babies and just life I've gained back about 50 lbs. I am considering talking to a surgeon about a possible revision because I've had complications for so long. Half the time I eat I am sick even if it is "safe" food. I feel nauseous constantly and food is always getting stuck. I am nervous about talking to someone because when I tried explaining my troubles to my surgeon after my original surgery he told me it was normal and I was learning to eat differently. Now, a decade later, I feel like my complications are not normal. Has anyone experienced this? I have absolutely no idea what will happen when I talk to someone about this. I'd love any insight.

Thanks.

White Dove
on 3/10/23 12:42 pm - Warren, OH

By eating differently after bypass, they mean you learn to eat tiny amounts of food and chew them thoroughly. For example, last night I had one quarter of a cheddar and steak sandwich from Panara. I saved the other quarter for lunch today. If I try to eat more food it gets stuck and makes me sick.

Some people go back to eating the same size portions as people who did not surgery. That means that the food might make them sick and they always gain weight. Start by eating much tinier portions of food and cut it into small bites. Chew it thoroughly. It is better to make it only meat and a few non-starchy vegetables. Get a food scale and weigh your portions. I find between 2 and 3 ounces of chicken fills me up. With steak can sometimes eat 4 to 6 ounces.

Drink a lot of water and get lots of exercise. A revision will not change overeating habits. Only you can do that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics