How long are surgical changes supposed to last?

Rebecca T.
on 4/4/04 11:16 am - Central, NY
Will everyone need a revision at some point in their life? I am 30, hoping to have Lap RNY this summer, and am wondering how long this is expected to last. I was hoping it was permanent! Any info would be appreciated... Thanks, Becky
Patty_D.
on 4/5/04 4:01 pm - Kershaw, SC
Yes, WLS is suppose to be a lifetime thing and most people who have revisions have either damaged or ate around their tool (WLS) OR the staple line has broken down. Also before 2000, most all of the WLS were just stomach stapling without the by-pass part of the surgery. They were less effective than todays WLS. Think of them like the old VW bug and todays as a Caddy SUV. A big difference in performance!!! The old way, you only lost 50-60% of your excess body weight in about a year to 2 years time and the stomach would naturally streatch out some over time. Today it is more like 70 to 80% in a year and the pouch is orignaly made smaller than the old staple line was with a malobsobtion factor to boot. So, yes this is considered a permanent solution, IF and I mean IF you use your new tool wisely!!!!! If you continue to eat junk, drink with meals and graze all day long, you can and will regain weight and damage your tool.
Carla H.
on 4/6/04 9:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Some WLS may get revision because they did not reach a healthy weight in a particular time also. ( they intestine was not by passed enough) It's not only because of surgical complications or not utilizing the tool that was given you.
Rebecca T.
on 4/7/04 7:55 am - Central, NY
Thank you for your responses! I am scheduled for my consult on 5/13 and am starting a low carb diet/exercise plan now. I really don't want to have this surgery more than once, if I can help it!
Most Active
Recent Topics