My revision has been approved!!!!

Jer B.
on 5/20/04 11:43 pm - Blaine, MO
I had an open RNY done in St Louis by Dr Ronald Gaskin in July 2002. I was approved through United Healthcare. I lost 100lbs by Thanksgiving of that year, but I could tell I was eating more than I should be able. I called Dr Gaskin, but he had quit his practice due to malpractice insurance issues. Finally in August 2003 I got a letter stating that he was back in business, but he didn't have malpractice insurance. I scheduled an appointment & found out that all of my staples had come undone. Of course I started gaining weight & Dr Gaskin said he would do a revision, but it would cost me out of pocket. There was no way I could afford that...I became very depressed & started gaining weight. United Healthcare dropped my employer & I had to get a new insurance company, GHP. I was referred to Dr Pitt's office in Columbia, MO with the Columbia Surgical Associates. He said he could do the revision where you actually cut the stomach instead of just doing the staples. He said that is the preferred method since it has a higher success rate. His office tried several times to get me approved, but I was rejected several times...until today! I've now been approved for the revision to be done on June 3rd! I can't tell you how happy about this! He said that the chances of complications is higher on a revision, but he said that I'm healthy so there shouldn't be any problems. Anyone else have the same problems I had? Is the cutting bettering than the stapling? Any advice or comments would be appreciated!
janetlivingston
on 5/21/04 3:07 am - Chicago, IL
Congratulations!!! I am having surgery on June 2nd. RNY to DS. My stomach is fine. The RNY did not work for me. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I will pray for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics