5:30 am 5/24 here I come!

sher S.
on 5/22/04 2:54 pm - lewisville, tx
I had no idea there was such a emotional roller coaster in waitting til the big day! I'm having a revision to RNY from a "stomach staple" in earily 70's. Dr. Provost is my doctor. Having it done at Zale Lipshy on monday. I'm a self pay. Hospital $20,000. doctor $5,013. annesthisa doctor $1250. All paid up front. Well wait, after 1st appt. with doctor and going back for pre admit is when I paid. I'm really excitted! Just a wee bit nervous, and haven't gotten near the things done I had hoped. Members have been great about sending messages of encouragment! Thanks everyone!
janetlivingston
on 5/23/04 8:56 pm - Chicago, IL
I wish you nothing but the best. Make sure someone lets us know how you are. I m having the same sugery as you on June 2. I would love to know how you are doing. May god bless you and keep you safe.
sher S.
on 5/31/04 9:00 am - lewisville, tx
Janet, You were the only one to ask on this board how it went. I think that's because they move to other boards afterwards. OK, it's no walk in the park, and I had a few problems. A few days ago if someone had asked me if I'd do it again, I'd have to think before I replied. I'm doing well. Each day a little better. I had my blood pressure bottom out, and I'm on O2, but that is because I have pph and hopefully I can get off. I get tired very easy and things that you never thought twice about, you realize will just have to wait. I have staples starting between my breast to my pelvic. I have been alone, so it is easier to let things wait. My son & daughter-in-law came by yesterday and I had my hair washed. Oh Heaven!!!!!!! Can't wait until I can take a shower!!!! I have been craving food! I thought for sure that would be gone. I have had no nausea. If you have questions you can e-mail me. sheri
Tammy S.
on 6/13/04 1:14 pm - San Antonio, TX
Sheri- You are not joking! This is no walk in the park. I had my revision surgery on June 1, 2004. Went from VGB (1999) to open RNY. It's been twelve days, but I can honestly say it gets better every day. I have the pleasure of having a G-tube attached to me that drains my old stomach. Still no regrets. I'll get staples removed on Wednesday and I can't wait!! I do get hungry (I think we all do), but I know this is worth it. You can do it. I know it's hard to feel this way, but we can do it! Tammy S. San Antonio, TX
sher S.
on 6/16/04 4:06 am - lewisville, tx
Tammy, I'm so glad you are doing good. So the staples came out today, yeah! Have you had some discomfort in your lower left abdomen? I almost feel normal. I just get tired the next day if I have had a full busy day the day before. I'm getting on my treadmill for about 15 min.. I'm down 30pds. I gained 15 in the hospital. Doctor said it was all the IV's. I didn't have a G-tube, but was told I might before surgery. I've pushed the envelope and have tried veg's and just a little chicken. They went fine. I have grandkids so can't stay online. Hope to hear from you again. sheri
Tammy S.
on 6/22/04 2:43 pm - San Antonio, TX
Sheri- Good to hear from you! As far as lower abdominal pain, I have not had any. My incision line just itches like CRAZY!! I'm feeling back to normal, I just have to rest often. Don't have a lot of energy, which of course is normal after major surgery. Funny you mentioned pushing the envelope. I have done a little of that, too. I have not had any problems, but I'm still being really cautious. I chew slow and take small bites. Wow, thirty pounds!! Thats awesome. Pre-op, I was 252, then after surgery I was 262 (yikes!) and now I am 232 (three weeks post-op). Not sure which numbers count... as long as they go down...haha! Take care, good luck and continued success! Keep me posted! Tammy
Christine P.
on 6/22/04 6:27 am - Keene, NH
I had the stomach stapling done in 1982 and it was not very successful. I only lost about 50 lbs. and that came back after a while. For a long time I thought it was me. That even with the surgery I could not loss weight, I felt like such a failure, and I gave up on myself for a long time. Then I started hearing about the RNY and seeing people on TV, so I starting investigating the possibility. My surgeon told me it was not my fault, but that the surgery back then was not successful in most people. So I went though all of the testing and I now have a date, I am just waiting now for my insurance approval. (God, I hope there is no problem with them) My surgeon told me that I will have that G-tube for about 6 weeks, is it the same for you? She said that she is going to use a stronger staple than she normally uses and that she is going to sew in the staples as a precausion. The one thing that keeps bothering me is that if the staples broke down from my previous surgery (which was just dividing my stomach) why won't that happen again in time? This time she will actually cut my stomach in two. I am not too nervous about the surgery itself, I have had other surgeries and I think I know what to expect. I just want this to work this time!! I want to know what I really look like before I die. Hope you are still doing well, and you become that thin person inside you real soon. Chris
Most Active
Recent Topics