WOW!

Need2lose N.
on 6/12/04 2:47 am - Campbell, NY
WOW! I did not know that there was a special message board for people with revisions. This is GREAT! I have some qustions regarding insurance. I have BCBS of Central NY. My Doctor told me yesterday that he needs to get pre-authorization from my insurance company. He needs to prove that the failure of my surgery in 1992...(stomach stapled)..was NOT my fault. Hey I already feel like a failure. That is all I needed to hear. Well, anyways...did anyone have the same problem with their insurance company? Did anyone get denied? If you were approved...how long did it take? Also, my doctor told me that if I do have the open rny...they could decide after they open me up that they cannot do the surgery as there may be too much scar tissue. Did anyone experience this? I would love to hear from people about their experiences.. Thanks so much for your HELP in advance. This site is awesome. Penny
Patty_D.
on 6/13/04 12:21 pm - Kershaw, SC
I have BCBS Federal Employees, and I go for my first consult with my newest surgeon on July 1st.(I have seen 4 previous ones since 2000!! all told me THEY could not do my surgery, 2 said it couldn't be done at all!) Anyway, I was told by his office that they would have to be able to show that it was a problem with the old surgery, IE: leakage of staple line, enlargement of opening to intestines, etc. before they would be able to do the surgery and for the ins co.(any of them) to pay for a revision. But that it is most often the case with any surgery preformed before around 1998 or so, depending on where in the US it was done, as some areas had been using the newest procedureds earlier than others. I hope this helps you in some way! I wish you all the best in your search!! Patty
Tammy S.
on 6/13/04 1:06 pm - San Antonio, TX
Penny Hi! I had a revision done on June 1, 2004. I had Vertical Band Gastroplasty back in 1999 due to frequent esophogeal obstructions. It had to be open as you mentioned due to scar tissue. What should have taken two hours took four. My surgeon (military) told me he would try lap, but it quickly turned to open due to my previous surgery. I'm 12 days post-op and I feel better than I thought. I was in the hospital for a total of three days. As far as insurance, I didn't have any issues since I had it done through the military. Good luck and feel free to keep in touch if you have any questions! Tammy S. San Antonio, TX
Most Active
Recent Topics