VBG to RNY weight loss...

Tammy S.
on 6/24/04 7:50 am - San Antonio, TX
Hello out there... I was wondering how many of you had the VBG and had a revision to RNY and how much you lost in the first month. I'm three weeks post-op and I've lost 20 pounds. My original weight (before the VBG in 1999) was 350 lbs. I got down to 252 lbs. I had open gastric bypass on June 1, 2004 and I'm now at 232. My doctor told me to expect to lose 80% of what a "normal" gastric bypass patient would lose. Typically 100 lbs in the first year, and a revision patient should expect to lose 80 lbs the first year. Please share your success!!! I want to hear how others have done. Tammy S. San Antonio, TX
Kitsy I.
on 7/5/04 8:41 am - Vicksburg, MS
I had a VBG in 1991 and my staple line broke. I had a revision RNY on April 1 and so far have lost 40 pounds. My doctor told me the loss would be slower but he never said that I couldn't lose as much as a RNY. Are you able to eat larger quantities of food than other RNY patients? I eat almost like a normal person. I am concerned about this.
Tammy S.
on 7/5/04 1:50 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi Kathy! Nice to know there are others like me out there! Congrats on the loss. I'm holding steady at 20 lbs. Almost 5 weeks post-op and I feel I should have lost more! My problem is... I'm not able to eat even a quarter of what I could eat before the RNY. I have trouble getting in 500 calories a day which is why (I'm sure) I have plateaued. I just started walking last week, so I am hoping that will help. What types of foods are you eating? I'm sticking to eggs, low-carb yogurt, string cheese, hi-protein milk... I feel like Elsie the cow with all this dairy... Tammy
CarmallaH
on 7/7/04 8:57 am - '278/226/ Ellis, TX
Hi Tammy VGB in 1986 failed. RNY May 10 2004 I just went 2 weeks without weight loss, But then it started up again. I have noticed I am loosing much slower that most people . I am like Kathy also I can eat more that I thought I would be able too. God Bless Carmalla
deblynn
on 7/22/04 3:12 am - Murrieta, CA
VBG - 1989 VBG - 1991 RNY - 2004 Deb open RNY 3/5/04 -80
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/04 6:42 am - TX
I had a vbg done in 97', lost from 360 to 240. Then over 5 years gained back 70 or more. Started RNY at 315, now am 227. My stomach is not transected. That is just the way my dr does RNY's. I feel great, I had the revision in October 03, and the weight loss is very slow, but it is there! I am 9 1/2 months post op, and I am very happy with my decision. There are a lot of us out here! Read my profile. I am trying to keep it updated for others. I find that is a real help when profiles are updated! See Ya, Diana
darnell239
on 7/31/07 10:55 am - Columbia, SC
I read your profile and diary entries on obesity help.com  I found it very interesting.  I had the mini-gastric bypass 7 years ago and I did not lose as much as I thought I would and I have regained most of my weight.  I am considering a revision to the rny but I here many people regain from this surgery.  I am wondering how are you doing weight wise?  Are you still happy with your results?
Most Active
Recent Topics