2 VBG's and 1 RNY!

deblynn
on 7/22/04 3:09 am - Murrieta, CA
hi all. i didn't know there was a 'revision forum'. coolness. i posted a couple months ago on the main board and basically got 'ripped a new one' but a bunch of folks that couldn't understand why i needed 3 WLS's. they were saying stuff like: "your behavior...", "you didn't use your tool..." - whatever. my story is in my profile, if anyone is interested. i am just so scared that this won't work either - BUT, i have lost more in the last 4 months (since the RNY) than i ever did with my first 2 surgeries. VBG - 1989 VBG - 1991 RNY - 2004 DO I GET A PRIZE FOR THE MOST WLS's??????? Deb open RNY 3/5/04 -80
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/04 5:52 am, edited 1/25/12 1:16 am

Carla D.
on 7/22/04 10:50 am - Lake Charles, LA
Well, I have a failing band - I blamed myself for years. I am waiting for a revision and can't wait to have it done. I am going for the Lap RNY and I was glad to here that it was successful for you. Thanks for your post. Carla
Theresa A.
on 7/22/04 12:33 pm - Madera, CA
I finally found someone that beat me to #3. I'm looking into a revision. This will be my third time and like you, I get alot of flack. They just don't understand, because of my medical condition I am unable to exercise all the time. I had the fobi pouch about 18 years ago, and RnY, in 1996. my beginning weight was 323, went down to 198, then became ill, (unrelated to wls), due to medication I gained 62lbs. I had breast reduction which removed a whopping 10lbs. I lost have lost ll lbs. in the last year. I now weigh 235 lbs. It has been so hard to lose. I do have a question for u, how do u know if there is a problem with staple lining? Good luck with #3.
Marcie @.
on 7/25/04 11:40 am - Lake Charles, LA
Theresa, Take if from someone who lives this everyday....you are not alone. I am the bariatric coordinator for Dr. Keith Chung in Lake Charles, LA. We see so many patients come through our office who would like their vertical banded gastroplasty, banded gastroplasty or lap adjustable banded gastroplasty reversed. VBG has a high rate of failure if strict guidelines are not followed, not only in patient selection, but also in patient compliance. You are right that staple line failure is a common problem. It is the reason for weight regain in most of our VBG revisions. The good thing about gastric bypass is that there is no possibility of re-communication between the old stomach and the new pouch as they are seperated in the operation. You will probably achieve much better weight loss after your revision, if you are a candidate. The risk is that you will have significant scarring of the area as well as possibility of adhesions from the previous WLS. If you are a candidate, your procedure may have to be performed using the open method. This is why it is vitally important to chooos your surgery carefully. You should look into ALL procedures before making your final decision. Good Luck. Marcie - Bariatric Coordinator Obesity Surgery Center of LA www.obesitysurgeryla.com
DeeDee
on 7/28/04 12:52 pm
Marcie, Interesting post - thanks! I just found out from and Upper GI that I have a SLD from a VBG performed 13 months ago. I lost for 6 months and apparently around the 7th month something "broke." I keep asking my surgeon what's the "fix" for this and he tells me we have to wait for the scope and that is still a couple weeks away. In my feeble brain I can only think there is one fix ... a revision. Is there some other way to fix a SLD? Why would he be so elusive about what seems to be obvious to me? The main reason I'm concerned is that the week I found out I had a SLD he found out he has to take medical retirement. He's trying to get all his patients placed with someone else. I have asked him if I don't need to go ahead and contact another surgeon and get on their list and I am told to just wait and let them see the results of my scope. Needless to say that he's working really hard to get the folks who were already scheduled for surgery taken care of and I'm concerned that I may be falling through the cracks. Should I just venture out on my own and find a surgeon to do a revision or stay with my current surgeon and let him get me through this process? Thanks! DeeDee
luv2bowljen
on 10/18/04 5:51 am - Lisle, IL
Deb, I read your profile, and I have to say, good for you for not giving up. I have not posted much on the Main forum, but I haven't heard very positive things, generally about posting there, either. Essentially, it seems, if you are not losing 20 pounds a month, at your goal weight, or joyfully, blissfully, basking in the success of your surgery, and glowingly describing all the wonderful things you can now do, you WILL get flamed there. Unfortunate that some never make it past the main forum...I have been lucky at the Illinois forum. Great support! I just want to say that I am preparing myself for my husband's RNY in November, and the things that I read here, and in the complications and regrets forum are informative. If there weren't people with the courage to talk about some of the difficult stuff, many would have the mistaken impression that WLS is some rose petaled path to skinnyness that is blithely chosen and includes no roadblocks, detours, problems, hurdles or inconveniences! Thank goodness you are willing to share. You not only encourage others who are encountering what you are (and may be disinclined to speak out), but you also provide eye-opening details to those of us who haven't crossed over. I admire your courage and forthrightness. I wish you continued success.
deblynn
on 10/18/04 4:44 pm - Murrieta, CA
Thanks for the cool response to my post from several months ago! It's 7 months now for me and I've lost 108 pounds. I still get insecure and think this is gonna stop working... but so far, so good. I am able to eat a lot more than I used to a few months ago, but the wierd thing is that I seem to lose MORE when I eat more... strange, huh? by the way, when I say "a lot", it's certainly not the 'normal' person's version of "a lot". I totally agree with you about the main board here. I have mostly stopped posting because of those things you mentioned. Besides, I have a feeling that 90% of the people posting are B-S-ING about what they do and do not eat. I think they are eating a little bit of EVERYTHING, just like the rest of us... they spout all that crap about low carb this and low fat that, but the reality is that they WILL lose if they keep away from sugars and white flour... I am much happier when I don't read the lies they post. I'm losing, I'm happy. I can't tell you how many rude comments I've gotten from the "holier than thou" people that are at or near goal... stuff like, "obviously the surgeries are not to blame if you've had 3 of them" and "didn't you learn anything from the first or second times" or "maybe you need counseling for your problems because YOU seem to be the problem" - WHATEVER! screw them. I thank you again for your cool response to my post from a few months ago. Deb open RNY 3/5/04 -108
Most Active
Recent Topics