Considering Revision - 20+ years post VBG

Linda R.
on 9/30/04 1:09 am - Stockbridge, GA
I am exactly the weight I was 20+ years ago before having VBG (321). I lost down to 180 but could never go lower. I am 5'7" so I was looking good. For the last 10 years, my weight has balooned and now I am back to where I started. I am also able to eat as much as I could before VBG. I have tried dieting but I think my body knows how to respond to starvation mode and the extremely slow weight loss gets discouraging and I blow the diet. I did not know until just recently that revision was even available. I am 47 years old and my insurance will cover the surgery. Could someone who has gone through it twice give me some advice, words of experience, etc? Would you do it the second time again?
itzmyturn
on 9/30/04 3:16 am - Dallas, TX
Hi, I am in the same situation as you... actually myself and a friend I use to work with. We both gastroplasty about 10 years ago.. and of course my pouch has stretched and the staple line I believe has come undone. If I had it to all over again, I would have gone with the RNY in the first place, I just was not as educated as I am now about Bariatric Surgery. First thing I did, was of course "attempt" weight loss on my own...since my surgery I have spent hundreds of dollars on gym memberships, pills, shakes you name it...to no avail. Well, after my friend found a local doctor with experience in revision surgery, she has since had her revision and is doing great. She also had gastroplasty around the same time as I did.. and recently had an open rny. Now, I have a consult with the same Dr. to have the same exact procedure done. My consult is on 10-7, and I can not wait. One of the first obstacles we faced, was trying to find some one who was skilled in revisions. Not everyone wants to do the "extra" work... there are more risks involved and the surgery is more time consuming. So after the Dr. was found, then the consult was scheduled. My advice, after you have made a very conscious decision to have a revision. I would make sure that the insurance company covers "revision" procedures, see what their requirements are for approval.. then try and find a doctor that you are "comfortable" with.. I think I was lucky in that department because my friend did all of the "work" in locating the doctor, and so far I have heard only great things about her. You might want to also post your question on the main board, or your local board if you have not already done this.. alot of the times people on those boards have had revisions, for some reason this board is not quite frequented... Good luck Casey
Carol W.
on 10/1/04 1:18 pm - Martelle, IA
Hi, Just floating around boards tonite and I am glad that I floated to here. I had a VBG done in 9/1982 and lost about 80 pounds before getting pregnant with #2 child (now a Marine and being trained to go to Iraq in 02/05). The weight loss basically stopped somewhere along the way and I always blamed it on the pregnancy. Long story short; my husband had RNY done last October and we discussed about something being done for me. Found out through an upper GI that the staple line had disintegrated. Heard through an obesity clinic that there was a 'revision' surgery available but no idea how to find a surgeon to perform it cause the doctor my husband had did not do revisions. Through a friend asking a question of her surgeon for another health problem found out he performed the revisions. Would I do it again? YES!!! I was told that my weight loss would be slower the second time around with WLS but since 3/15/04 I have dropped 91 pounds and still losing. There is a light at the end of the tunnel (and this time I know I won't get pregnant!)!! Go for it if it is really what you think you want and need to do. Peace & Love, Carol
Barbara M.
on 10/18/04 4:08 am - Clayton, NC
I had gastroplasty 23 years ago....and had an open revision RNY on 7/12/04...have lost 75 pounds and am doing great....I am also 58 years old...I would do this again in a heartbeat...I feel good for the first time in years...
patricia S.
on 10/22/04 1:07 pm - Malone, NY
I had my stomach stapled over 20+ years ago and was able to have a revision done this May 2004. I don't like to have to say that my surgery did not go well. I am alright now, but I went in on May 18,2004 and did not get out of the hospital until Aug 1,2004. There were complications and I was told they had to go back in for another surgery the very next day. I guess my system was shutting down. They put me on a respirator and i was in icu for a couple of weeks. I don't remember alot. It has been a long haul. I have lost 70lbs so far and feel pretty good. I, also, can't say at this moment that I would do it all over again. The memory and pain that I went through is still too fresh in my mind. My doctor did tell me that of all the revisions he had done that he had problems. I asked what kind of problems and he told me not to worry thats what he was for. Well, I learned my lesson and will check into things alot more.
Most Active
Recent Topics